the last friday

I woke up to an empty house and a text from my dad. 

We Ieft to go out for breakfast. Help yourself to coffee. We'll be back by 9:30-10. 

I shook my head and walked downstairs. It was no hair off of their skin to wake me up. Was I not part of the family? 

I sipped my coffee and turned on the TV, flipping until I got to ABC so I could watch Modern Family reruns. My life was already fucked enough, so I mostly watched comedies and cartoons. I didn't need any of that extra sad shit in my life. Unless it was a really good show like Breaking Bad. Or this new show that was about to come out called Game of Thrones. It looked pretty good too from all the trailers. 

After the opening theme finished, someone knocked on the door.

I groaned, getting up and opening the door. It was Cory. Diana's tutor.

Not just that, though. He was also the guy she was cheating on Jason with. Cory was more of the nerdy type, but as long as Diana kept sucking his dick, he'd make sure she passed chemistry. 

"Hey, Mayo," he said awkwardly, "Um, is Diana home?"

"No. The whole family got breakfast without me."

"Oh, ok. Well, I just wanted to-

My phone started ringing.

"Hold that thought," I said, picking up, "Hello?"

"Hey, Mayo. It's Fi. Have you seen Frank recently?"

"Not since last night," I said, "Why? Is he missing?"

"It's the last Friday of the month."

The last Friday was when Frank got his disability check. He might be gone all the time, but he's never AWOL on the last Friday. 

"Shit," I said, "Do you want me to help look for him? I don't have work today."

"Yes. Look in all the regular spots," she said, "See ya later."

I hung up and looked at the boy with glasses in front of me, "Hey, Cory. What are you doing right now?"

"Uh, nothing. Why?"

"OK, good. You can help me look for Frank Gallagher," I said, grabbing my winter coat and putting on my boots, "Let's go."

"Ian and Lip's dad?"

"Yup," I said, closing the door and locking it behind me, "So, the sex any good?"

"What?"

I laughed and patted his shoulder, "Come on. I'm not gonna tell her boyfriend, but I know you're fucking my stepsister."

I looked in and behind the dumpsters. No Frank. 

"No sex," he said, "She'll only give me head, but she won't let me do anything to her. That way, it's not technically cheating, she says."

"Fuck, she's dumb," I laughed. 

"I mean. It's head in exchange for good grades. I'm not complaining," Cory said, "But if we're being honest, I've always thought you were the prettier sibling."

I scoffed, "Yeah, right. And it's step-sibling."

Every guy at our school drooled over Diana, and some guys fought Jason over her. How the hell could I compete with that? 

"No, I'm serious."

"If you're serious, then here's my number," I said, grabbing his phone and putting it in there, "You're welcome."

We turned a corner and ran into Lip and Karen. 

"Find anything?" I said. 

"Nope," Lip said, "Who's this?"