reconciliation

I had to go home shortly after because I had to help make dinner and do the laundry. After I put the load in the machine, I went downstairs and started prepping. 

"Jenna, Blake, can you two go in another room? Mayo and I need to have a private conversation."

As they left, I sighed, "What did I do now?"

"I want to talk about you and your stepsister," my dad said, "You've been living with her for four and a half years now, and not a day goes by without arguing and animosity between you too. You need to make a better effort with her."

I couldn't believe that he was putting all this on me. But then again, of course, I did. Everything wrong that happened was always my fault according to him.

"I'm not the one you should be telling this to," I said, "She's a bitch, Dad. She starts every single fight we have and goes out of her way to make my life miserable. She called me while I was trying to help the boys find a new water heater because theirs broke, and she accused me and Lip of stealing her wallet."

"Oh, I know," he said, "I know because I'm the one who took her wallet. She's been spending too much money lately so I'm confiscating her credit card. I had the same talk with her before you came home. I realize she's the instigator, and she has some issues, but this whole thing is a two-way street. You never gave her a chance. It took you a week to even start talking to her when she first started living with us. That's not fair."

Ok, that was true. But could you blame me? My dad had three people move in without asking how I felt about it. 

"Oh yeah, like it was fair to move some woman and her kids into our house without asking how I felt about it?"

My dad's expression changed, and for the first time, it seemed like he understood my point of view, "I know. I know. I should've asked you."

"I love Jenna, Dad, but she's not my mom," I said, "It wasn't fair for you to be ok with all this change. I just want it to go back to when it was the three of us!"

I took a deep breath, but I was past the point of remaining calm. Everything was getting let out.

"I know you miss your mother," he said, "I miss her too. Not a day goes by when I don't think about her and wonder how our lives would be if she was still here."

I sucked in my lips and nodded slowly, not wanting to start crying.

"But Jenna and I love each other. We're a family now," he said, "I know you're not happy with the way I've been acting lately. You're getting older now, and, and-

Now my dad was starting to tear up. Something I haven't seen before. I didn't even see him cry when Mom died. He'd always have to leave the room when he got emotional because he never wanted me to see him weak and in pain.

"Whenever I look at you, I see her," he said, "And it's so hard."

"But it's not my fault I look like her, Dad," I said, my voice trembling, "Or that I remind you of her."

"I know it's no excuse. And I'm sorry. I haven't been a good father to you. And if we're going to have any chance at having a good relationship when you're out of the house, I need to focus on you more from now on. I'm so sorry, Maelyn."

He put his hand in his face and started sobbing. I just stood there, tears falling down my face. I didn't know what to do. Slowly, I walked over to him and hugged him. We both just held each other in tears.

"Hey, could be worse," I said, to lighten the mood, "I could have Frank Gallagher or Terry Milkovich for a dad."

My dad chuckled and wiped his eyes, "When you're done, go take a nice shower. I'll do all the dishes for you."

I smiled softly and nodded before going back upstairs. Dinner went pretty well, and the Caesar salad was a success. It was also one of the first family dinners where I felt good. Where I felt like things were going to change for the better. Hopefully. 

________________________________________________________________________

I woke up the next morning and showered. When I got out and opened the door, there was Diana, wearing nothing but a towel like me. 

"Hey," she said softly. 

"Hey?" I said. 

"I'm sorry about yesterday. Your dad and I had a long talk, and I realized how much of a bitch I've been to you. And I wanted to apologize. For all of it. I haven't been a good stepsister to you at all, but I want to be better."

I was taken off guard, but I remembered what my dad said. I had to make more effort with her.

"I'm sorry too. For being spiteful or cold even when you did nothing and I was just pissed at the world. I'm also sorry for telling Jason about you cheating on him. It wasn't my place, and I-

"No, Mayo. You had every right to do that. I shouldn't have cheated on someone who treated me as well as he did. Or cheated in general," She said, "He hates me now, and I don't blame him."

I stood there, not knowing what to say next.

"Next time you see Lip, can you tell him I'm sorry?"

"Well, I'm going over there after I finish my coffee, so, you can come with me if you'd like."

She smiled softly, "Sounds good. Thanks, Mayo." 

"Yeah, no problem."

It was odd, but I'll take an apology from Diana.