you'll know it when you see it

"Frank's back? I thought the asshole died," Diana said, pouring coffee.

"Good riddance," my dad said, "Is anyone in that house actually happy he's back?"

"Only Debs," I said, "She made a whole shrine for him and counted each day he was gone."

"That poor girl," Jenna said.

"I don't feel bad," Blake said.

"Blake, she's in denial," Diana said, "This is what happens to children with abusive parents. But as they get older, the delusion fades, and they realize they're never gonna change."

I nodded. Fiona, Lip, and Ian all knew he wasn't gonna change. I think Carl knew that too, but he was still so young. It was hard to say. 

When Blake and I finished eating, we got in the car, picked up Mandy, and drove to the Gallaghers.

"Alright, go find Carl, and make sure you're out the door in less than ten!" I said to Blake before he ran into the house.

Mandy, Diana, and I followed. I opened the door to see Fiona storm off from the kitchen and go upstairs.

"What now?" I said to Lip and Ian.

"Oh, you wanna know?" Lip said, "We're already two weeks late on the property tax, and Fi decides to spend a thousand bucks on a nightclub promotion. Not to mention, she doesn't know shit about promoting a nightclub."

"Wow, be a little less supportive, why don't you?" I said.

"You know I'm right," Lip said, "The money wasn't even hers to spend."

"Well, she earned it, so technically-

"Not all of us can just spend our money on whatever the fuck we want to," Lip snapped at me, "I thought you of all people would understand."

I gritted my teeth and tensed up, "Do you want a ride to school or not?"

"I have community service during the first three periods, so no."

Lip walked upstairs, and I just rolled my eyes, knowing he was in a mood again. 

"Ian, are you ready?"

"Yea, let me just grab my bag," he said.

"Ok, let's go, now!" 

"You ok?" Mandy said to me.

"Yeah, just dealing with my difficult boyfriend," I said.

Diana rubbed my shoulder as we walked outside with Ian and got in the car.

"I love him, but I don't love the way he acts."

"Oh, you and everyone else on the planet, Mayo," Ian said.

____________________________________________

Right before the fourth period, I felt two hands grab my ass.

"Miss me?"

I turned around and faced Lip, "You pervert!"

I pushed him and walked towards my class, "How was community service?"

"Good. I met some Northside kids. Think I can make dough off of them," Lip said.

"Hm," I said.

"Look I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to be a dick."

"Yea, you should be," I said, "But it's ok. I understand the frustration with the property tax being two weeks late already."

"Yep, because I know how to really make money."

I laughed and shook my head.

"If you think that way, then maybe you should take more charge," I said, "I mean, not that Fi hasn't done a shit ton already."

Lip was a lot more talk than walk, and Fiona was the opposite. I wanted Fiona to make something for herself. Hell, she deserved it, but it was a thousand bucks she spent. Maybe she should've waited, or put money on something for less. 

"Mr. Gallagher! Just left Mr. Healey's office," Ms. Price said, stopping us in the hallway.

"Rumors about you true?" He said, making me hide a laugh.

"Said you were supposed to ask me for a recommendation."

"Sure. In his mind, I was supposed to do that," Lip answered.

"A letter of recommendation from a science teacher looks good on your college applications," Ms. Price said.

"Yeah, I bet it does."

Lip left to go to class, but I had to go the other way, so I turned to her, "I'm sorry about him. He's in a bad mood today. He'll talk to you sometime this week!"

During my free period, I went to Mr. Healey's office.

"Oh! Miss Antontelli," he said, "Come to talk more about college decisions?"

"Actually, I came to talk about my boyfriend."

Mr. Healey looked up and sighed, "I'm not at liberty to discuss other students with you, Maelyn. We can talk about you all you want, though."

"Look, I want Lip to go to college," I said, "I think he has potential for a great future, but he doesn't want to go, no matter what I say to him. He's just a stubborn ass. What should I do?"

"I understand your frustration," he said to me, "Unfortunately, it's not your problem to fix. Leave it to me."

"Fine," I said flatly before leaving his office. That was even more unhelpful than I thought.

"Wait," he said, "Here. Stop by my office at the end of the day and pick up some college brochures. Show him them. I think you'd be able to convince him better than I would."

I smiled, "Thanks, Mr. Healey."

___________________________________________________

That night, I stayed over at the Gallagher's. Ian was drilling a hole into his wall.

"What's that for?" I said.

"Keeping Frank out," Ian said, "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"How do you know if a guy you've been hanging out with likes you?"

I raised an eyebrow, "You like a guy?"

"Yea, but I think he hates me."

I chuckled, "Well, talk to him about it. Subtly, though."

"He doesn't want to."

"No guy ever does," I said, "Trust me."

"How do I know then?"

"Does he get that look in his eye when he's with you?"

"What look?"

"You'll know it when you see it," I smiled, walking into Lip's room.

I was on his bed trying to talk to him about schools and leafing through the brochures I picked up while Lip was fixated on the money for the property tax.

"Are you listening to anything I'm saying?"

"Kinda hard to with the porno going on across the hall."

I smirked, "Is it wrong that it's kinda turning me on?"

Lip looked at me, "Yea, me too."

We slowly took our clothes off and started making out. When we finished, we went under the covers.

"You know, I really fucking hate you sometimes," I said, staring at the wall.

"Yea, keep telling yourself that," Lip said, kissing my cheek.