karen

I know DePaul doesn't have a men's baseball team just bare with me.

So, that family dinner I was telling you about? It turns out it was a family dinner plus Jason. 

"Diana tells me baseball's going well?" My dad asked.

"Oh, it's going great," he said, "I had an interview with a scout from DePaul yesterday."

"That's terrific, son."

I rolled my eyes because my dad was such a hypocrite. In his eyes, Jason could do no wrong, although he was a dumb jock. But Lip was a criminal who had no redeeming qualities? Even though he was at the top of his class?! 

"Are you not hungry, Mayo?" Jenna said.

I shook my head, looking down at the chicken and mashed potatoes on my plate, "I'm pretty fed up with bullshit."

Blake laughed as Jenna glared at him.

"Maelyn, what the hell is your problem?!" my dad said.

I looked up and pointed at Jason, "Why is he here?"

"Because he's my boyfriend. Eat your food," Diana snapped.

"I wasn't talking to you! Dad, you told me I couldn't invite Lip or Ian because it was a family dinner," I said.

My dad glared at me. It was a glare that meant, "I don't have a good answer, so I'll just give you the classic because I'm your father, and I say so."

"Martin, how about you tell us your good news?" Jenna said, trying to change the mood. 

My dad clapped his hands and grinned, "Last week, I got promoted to middle management. Say hello to the new Regional Manager at OfficeSupply!"

Everyone in the room was so happy, congratulating him and raising a toast. I found it hard to share their excitement. It wasn't even that big of a deal. So, he's getting paid more. So what? 

"So, this big announcement was so important that neither of my friends could've come for a nice meal?" I said, "Great. Good to know."

"Oh my god, just shut up already, Mayo!" Diana said, "It's not Jason's fault that he's better than a lot of people you know."

It was at that moment I knew I had to make Diana regret ever speaking to me like that. 

"Hey, Diana," I said calmly, "I have a question about your chem grades."

"What about them? I'm getting Bs now."

"Oh, I know," I said, "My question is was that before or after you blew Cory Fitch in exchange for good grades?"

Diana's smirk immediately turned into a panicked frown. The whole table fell silent, and Jason turned to Diana.

"What are you talking about?" Jason said.

"Haha, Mayo. You're so funny. Joke's over," she laughed nervously.

"You're cheating on me? With that fucking geek?!" He said, getting up, "Fuck this, I'm leaving."

"Jason. Jason, I can explain," Diana said, following him out the door. 

I smirked and took a bite of potatoes, rather proud of myself for that. 

"You're excused," my dad said angrily, "Go to your room, young lady."

I stared at my dad blankly.

"Maelyn Isabella Antonelli, get up, and go to your room, now!!"  

I rolled my eyes and went upstairs, taking my food with me. Just after I finished my chicken, someone knocked on my door.

"Be mad at me all you want, Diana. But you knew he was gonna find out soon," I said. 

The door opened, "It's not Diana."

I whipped my head around at the sound of that familiar voice. Karen Jackson was in my room.

"The fuck you want?" I said.

"Lip told me he told you about us."

I crossed my arms, "Yeah, he did. So, what? You came here to rub it in my face or something?"

"Mayo, I'm sorry," she said, "For everything I did. I know Lip is one of your best friends, but we like each other, and he's super cool. I also miss hanging out with you, and I'd do anything to get that back."

I wanted to believe her. The heartbroken thirteen-year-old in me wanted me to forgive her, but I couldn't. It wasn't even about my ex, it was about the fact she did that to me and we were best friends. I have bad trust issues, and once you've fucked up that bad, I'll never trust you again.

"Karen, I want you to listen to me and remember this," I said, "I'll tolerate being around you, for Lip's sake. But you and I? We'll never be friends again. So, you can forget it."

Karen looked hurt and mad, but she didn't say anything, turned her heel, and stormed off. I'm sorry, but what did she expect? That she'd come to my house and apologize and everything would be all sunshine and rainbows? Fuck no.