you were my mother too!

V and I went to Sheila's as emotional support for Fi, Lip, Carl, and Debbie. When we walked in the door, Monica's face dropped.

"Oh my god," she said.

"It's alright. I'm not one of yours. Just came to rubberneck," V said.

"Ditto," I said.

I'd met Monica and seen her a few times, but she was probably so coked out she didn't remember my name let alone what I looked like. Plus, I changed a lot over the years. I used to be a lot shorter with braces and darker hair, and no clue how to put on makeup.

She covered her mouth and started crying.

___________________________________________________________

I leaned on the armchair with Lip, and Sheila gave us both beers. V and Blake had both left by then, but I stayed.

"You're all so big. I missed you so much," Monica said before looking at me, "Mayo, wow, you're a woman now. And you've gotten so beautiful."

I nodded curtly and sucked my lips in. I appreciated the compliment but didn't want to act flattered. 

"Why didn't you take us with you?" Debbie said, which hurt to hear. 

"Because I knew you'd be fine with Fiona."

I wanted to intervene, but it wasn't my family, so I kept my mouth shut. I wanted to say something like oh yeah so let Fiona take the responsibility that wasn't hers, to begin with, but I held my tongue. 

I looked at Lip and cocked my head toward the door, so we went outside and lit a cigarette. 

"Parents, huh?" I said.

"Yeah," he said, "You're lucky your mom's dead."

I shrugged, "I guess. You know, I say I miss her, but I barely knew her because she died when I was so young. I don't even remember her voice anymore. Maybe I just miss the mom I could've had."

"It's scary how much you look like her too," he said, "From all the pictures I've seen."

"Yea," I said, "Look if you need anything ever, or just want to vent, let me know. I know shit's been crazy lately."

He nodded and smiled, "Thanks."

"Yeah, no problem," I said, "I hope the concert's fun."

We looked at the other end of the street as Ian walked toward us.

"Thought you were at work?" Lip said.

"There was a shooting," Ian said, "Mickey and Kash."

"Holy shit, Mickey shot Kash??" I said.

"Kash shot Mickey."

"What?"

"In the leg," Ian clarified, "He's fine. Just wanted to get out of there before the cops got there."

He grabbed one of my cigarettes and looked at Lip, "What'd I miss with Mom?"

"Well, you know how dad's a total fucking asshole?" Lip said.

"Yeah."

"Turns out he's the good one."

__________________________________________________________

"Ugh, I can't believe you sucked me back in here for money!" Monica yelled. It was a classic Frank move. How could she not believe it?"

"I did no such thing!" Frank protested, "But since you're in town, why don't you sign up for this little thing and-