why do you always blame dad first?

Ian and I smoked a cigarette in the boys' room, waiting for Lip to return from Deb and Liam's room. 

"Liam is officially asleep," Lip said, coming in after about five or ten minutes. 

"That was fast," Ian said. 

"Yeah, well, three pages from Deb's Eat, Pray, Love, and he's out."

We laughed.

"And if James Franco weren't in the movie, I would've nodded off too," Ian said.

"Same," I said, "He's such a babe."

Lip took the cigarette and exhaled, "Hey, I can pay you back, but do you have any cash you can float me? Florence and the Machine are playing down at the Chicago Theater. I wanna take Karen for her birthday."

"Pricey gift," I said.

"You think it's getting serious?" Ian said.

"Fuck off! She's my best friend," Lip said.

"Wow, I thought I was your best friend," I said, pretending to be hurt, which resulted in Lip pushing my head and Ian laughing.

"You know I'd never spend that kind of cash on a girl anyway," Lip said to Ian.

"Alright, well, I got a Hamilton, and it's yours," Ian said.

"Thanks, man."

Liam started crying from the other room.

"It's ok. I'll get him," I said, getting up and walking out. 

Ian POV

Mayo got up from the bed and walked to Liam's room. I reached for her speaker and turned The Smiths down a tad. She had great music taste, but I don't think that's what an eighteen-month-old wants to hear before bed. 

"Look, whatever you do with Karen, just don't hurt Mayo in the process," Ian said, "She's my best friend, and I love her, and she's a good person who cares about you."

Lip sighed, "So, you know about that, huh?"

"Yup," I said, "Lip, lemme ask you this. Why choose Karen over her?"

He shrugged, "It's not about that. I guess I just worry that because she's too good for me, I'll hurt her."

"So don't," I said, "Be honest with her and don't be a douche. Ok?"

Lip looked at the floor and nodded, "Yeah, ok."

Mayo returned, pushing her dirty blonde hair out of the way, "That wasn't so bad. Hey, Ian, put on The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust."

I chuckled, grabbed her iPod, and fished through until I found the David Bowie album, and Suffragette City started playing.

__________________________________________________________________________

Mayo POV

It was a Saturday, and the whole house was empty except for Jenna and me. I poured a cup of coffee and sat down as Jenna sat across the table. I felt shitty. Shitty that Lip was taking Karen to a concert and spending that kind of money on her. They weren't even dating. He would never even get lunch or dinner with me let alone take me to a concert. Yeah, money is tight, but he found a way to make it work for her. 

"Are you sure I can't make you an egg or something, honey?" she said.

"No, I'm fine," I said. 

She sighed, "Mayo, if something's bothering you, you can tell me."

I shook my head, "You wouldn't understand."

"Oh yeah?" She raised an eyebrow, "Try me."

"Ok," I said, "What do you do when you like someone, and they like you, but they like someone else more than you?"

Jenna looked at me, "This is about Lip, isn't it?"

I didn't say anything. 

"I hear your conversations with Mandy and Diana. These walls are paper thin, you know," she chuckled.

I sighed, "OK, maybe."

"Look, I like Lip. I think he's a good kid but confused and troubled. You can't sit around waiting for him to decide what he wants because you want someone who wants you. I know it's hard, but that's the truth, and it has nothing to do with you. It's his issue."

Everyone always told me I deserved better, and that I shouldn't settle or lower my standards. But I didn't want better. I wanted Phillip Gallagher. If I could stop loving him I would, but I couldn't. 

____________________________________________________________________

Blake, Diana, and I went over to the Gallaghers to watch a movie. I decided to put out snacks and make popcorn. 

"Hell hath no fury like popcorn burned!" I said, putting the bowl down on the table. 

"Steve coming?" Veronica said. 

"Are you guys gonna make a baby while we watch Cosmos?" Carl said, "Because that's gonna make me throw up."

"Billions and billions of sperm," Fiona said as I laughed.

"Can you please turn it on already?" Lip said.

"Yeah, I gotta get back to work," Ian said.

As the movie started, Steve came in and kissed Fiona hello.

"Ew," Blake said.

"Get a room," Carl said.

"Get your tickets?" Steve asked Lip.

"Yeah, thanks."

"Glad I could help."

"Glad you're glad."

I sat down on the floor with Diana and took a sip of beer when the door opened. Debbie came in, looking frazzled.

"Deb? Honey, what happened?" Fiona said.

"Dad have one too many again?" Lip said.

"You just gotta ignore him when he's like that, Debs," Ian said.

"Why do you always blame Dad first?" Debbie said.

Oh, so it wasn't Frank for once. I thought maybe it was a boy at school or some mean girls making fun of her. But it's Debbie. Who knows.

"Who else is there?" 

"She's over at Sheila's."

"Who?"

"Monica."

Monica. Their mom. She was finally back. Wow, so generous of her to finally come back home to her family. 

"Who the hell is Monica?" Steve said.

"Our mother," Lip said numbly. 

Lip and Ian looked like all the joy had been sucked out of them. My mom died and theirs is a bipolar nut job who just up and one day left. Hard to say which one takes the cake, honestly. 

Fiona gave Liam to Steve and walked toward Debbie, "Deb, did you s-

"What do you care?" Debbie cried, "You'll be living with Steve in that house he bought next door."

We watched as she ran upstairs.  We looked at Fiona and Steve and based on Fiona's reaction, it was just as much a surprise to her as it was to us. 

Ian ran out the door, and I was about to run after him when Diana stopped me.

"Don't worry. I got this," she said before running off after him. 

I looked at Lip and took hold of his hand. I wasn't sure what was going to happen next, but I was going to be there for my friends.