you don't live here anymore

We all ate breakfast together while Jimmy slept in. It's weird because he was always the first one to wake up and be downstairs.

"Wore him out, huh?" Lip said.

"Eat your cereal," Fiona said as I sipped some coffee.

"I'm too spoiled now. I need an omelet," Carl said. I'd make him one, but I was too tired.  

"So, how's the club night thing going?" Lip said.

"It's gonna be a big success!" Fiona said happily, "Make enough money to roll it into another one. Take out a loan. Really get things going."

A very tired and solemn-looking Debbie walked downstairs.

"What's wrong, Debs?"

"Got home late. Babysitting," She said tiredly.

"So, the ghetto girl thinks she can live the American dream, huh?"

I elbowed Lip for that one.

"Maybe it's my time, Lip," Fiona said.

"You know what? I support it," I said.

"Thank you, Mayo," Fi said, "Nice to know someone has my back."

"I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way, sis," Lip said, "See when you're poor, the only way to make money is to steal it or scam it. Like Don King or Joe Kennedy."

"Shut up," I muttered.

Frank came in with two of his friends, announcing his presence.

"Hey, that's my bike!" Ian said, getting up and tending to the bent bike in the living room. 

"Doesn't really work anymore."

"Yeah, because you bent the rim, Frank," Ian said, "And where's my seat?"

I watched as Frank made everyone miserable as always. 

He and his friends tried to go upstairs, but Lip and Ian wouldn't let him.

"Lip, don't!" Debbie said.

"This is my home!" Frank said, "You have no right to keep me out of it. I am an important part of this family."

Whenever he'd make these speeches, it triggered something in me. Something that just made me want to punch Frank Gallagher in the face over and over again. 

"No, you're not!" Ian said, "You don't live here anymore."

"Fine," Frank said, "If that's the way you want it, I'll leave."

 We thought he was going to leave when the three men made a run for it upstairs.

"Jackass!" Lip said, and we all followed them.

Debbie tried to get us to stop, but no one listened. The three men were in Debbie's room. First, we got Phil and Chester out, and then we needed to get Frank out. We worked to yank him from Debbie's bed, but Frank pushed Fiona back, and then he fell back... onto Debbie's project. We all gasped and were speechless.

"Well, that was a piece of shit anyway."

Debbie worked so hard on that project. He knew how much it meant to her, and that's all he had to say?!

"Frank!" Fiona said.

Debs ran out of the room, and Frank went back to Debbie's bed. We all tried to get him out when Debbie pushed through with a pillowcase filled with what I assumed were rocks, and she hit him as hard as she could.

"GET OUT!" She yelled, "Get out of my house, I hate you!"

At first, we were shocked, and then we were all just sad. It was finally her moment of realization that her father didn't care. That he didn't give a shit about anyone except for Frank. The delusion had faded. 

We eventually got her to stop, and while the boys dragged Frank out, Fi and I stood in shock and horror as Debbie sobbed on her bed. Fiona tried to touch her, but she protested.

"GET OUT!"

Both of us slowly walked out of the room, looked at each other, and started sobbing.

"Come here," Fi said as she hugged me.

"How can he be so awful?" I sobbed. 

I couldn't even begin to imagine the pain and betrayal Debbie felt. She wasn't a kid anymore. Not after that. 

_______________________________________________

"Oh my god," Diana said after I filled her in, "Is she ok?"

"I don't know," I said, "I've never seen her cry like that."

Diana shook her head, "How's Lip doing? Making any progress on college applications?"

I chuckled, "Bold of you to assume he's even started. If I have to fill them out for him, I will. I'm not going to let him destroy his future."

"Do you think he'll get mad at you?"

"He might," I said, "But he'll thank me later."