FIFTY SIX

Janiyah

I bit into my cheese sandwich that I'd bought, trying my best not to make a mess. I tried to make myself look as sophisticated as possible, the smallest bites ever. I looked like one dickhead

The coffee shop was pretty empty. Only a few people inside, doing their work on their computers. It was kinda cute, decorated with pretty lights, green plants at the corners, shiny brown chairs, I loved it. I'd never been here before, despite it only being 15 minutes away from my house.

I mean, why the fuck would I go to a coffee shop, I'm fucking 16, not 30.

It had been 10 minutes since I'd arrived, and I was pretty pissed off. I already wanted to leave. It's summer, 27° outside, and I'm here chilling in a coffee shop. What has my life come to?

5 more minutes, I thought, if she's not here in 5 more minutes, I'm leaving.

I took out my phone and set an alarm for five minutes, then I sat in silence, taking small bites of my sandwich.

I watched as time went by, 4 more minutes, 3 more, 2 more. Then there was 1 minute left. I'd already finished my food and I was literally on the verge of leaving, I did not have time for this.

When finally she came in. The moment she'd seen my face, she gave me a sorrowful smile. I kissed my teeth. I don't want this bitch smiling at me.

"Janiyah! Heyy! I'm so glad you could make it!" She opened her arms to embrace me while grinning. Simply returning the smile, I remained seated. She sat down opossote me after realising after a little period of time that I would never give her a hug.

"Right," she laughed awkwardly. "I just thought it'd be best I come here and explain everything. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, and I'm willing to answer all of them."

"Great!" I grinned. "What's the babies name?"

"Uh... I, i don't know yet." She gave an uneasy smile.

"Oh. Well that's all I wanted to know, Talia. I hope you and Mari live a happy life. Bye now!"

"Wait! Niyah, please. I really think you should know this." Talia spoke softly. I groaned. Why the fuck would I wanna know about my ex and his fucking baby? Did she just call me here to take the piss. To be honest, I don't even know what possessed me to agree meeting up with her.

Just seeing her face reminded me of him, and I did not want to think about him. However, since I was already here, there was no point in leaving. There was nothing to do at home, and I had a motive to go to in a few hours, so this was a good way to pass time.

"Alright, speak up." I sighed. "Explain."

Talia nodded, clearing her throat. "Okay," she began, as she took a deep breath. "I'll just summarise the story. This is a very serious topic babe, but I believe you're mature enough to take this in. So...I- um. I've... so there's this guy, right? And-"

"His names Mari and you man are now having a kid! Adorable!" I smiled sarcastically, interrupting her. I then began to laugh because I'm hilarious, as Talia just stared blankly at me. I really wasn't being mature right now, lol.

"My bad, continue."

"Right. So this guy, uh, Damien. He was my boyfriend after Mari and I broke up. And I know this sounds really weird, but I really love Mari, I really do." She explained. I sat there confused. Did I really have to listen to this? Her confessing that she still loves my man?

"And I thought Damien would help me move on from Mari." She continued. "So yeah, I got with him. It was good at first, but then, he started to get...you know, abusive. He'd do things to me, that I just, I don't even want to say it. Words can't describe how bad it was. However, you know, after abusing me and shit, he'd apologise by, expressing his love for me."