Three years

(y/n)'s POV

"And Sasori, Deidara. You guys are in charge of capturing Shukaku. The host is the Kazekage."

"Ugh...I hate Sunagakure." Deidara groans while hunching over.

"I hope you blow up, Bomb boy." Sasori mumbles.

I watch from on top of the statue's head the two artists argue from across the hands.

Sighing, I lean my head back and look up at Obito standing behind me. His mask was backwards, his mouth and nose visible. The shadows were hiding us from the rest of the Akatsuki - considering we don't have rings yet - since we were only allowed there as spectators.

Our missions were separate from the others unless said otherwise.

"Am I to understand that I'm back on kyuubi spying now that he's back?" I ask, keeping my voice barely above a whisper.

Frowning, I stare at Obito staying silent; not even looking down to acknowledge me.

Deciding to give up on him, I look back at the hands. Pain was now giving specifics to each team about the jinchuurikis.

Since Naruto went out to train with Jiraiya almost three years ago, Obito decided that it was almost impossible to track him.

Therefore, kyuubi missions were on pause. I could've tried to track him through Yokubō, but I decided not to. Like Obito said after I met with Orochimaru, I had to let Naruto grow on his own.

"Good luck." Pain says to the teams, all of them disappearing.

I start hearing Obito messing with his mask, causing me to lean back again and inspect what he's doing.

"Not yet. You and I both know he's going to be there when Sasori and Deidara kill the Kazekage." Obito says, setting his mask down and sitting down behind me.

He repositions my head so that it's laying against his leg, his other leg laid out next to me.

"But it's been so long since I've been on a mission-" I whine, flailing my arms slightly just to be dramatic.

"Weren't you just on a mission with Sasori?" Obito asks, gently playing with my hair.

"Yeah, but that was just a bounty." I groan, crossing my arms.

Obito only sighs at my response, still playing with the hair.

We stay like that for a few minutes, just sitting in silence and being in each others presence.

"If you really want, we can follow the two artists. Outside of that, there's no mission for you to do right now. Unless of course you wanna do more jinchuuriki-" Obito says, getting cut off by me standing up frantically.

"Nono! Following those two would be fine by me!" I yelp, shaking my hands in front of me.

Obito stares with slight shock at my sudden movements, but then recovers and smirks.

Zetsu appears from the ground between us, already faced towards Obito. While watching the plant man, I internally cringe at the black Zetsu. He's basically Madara's right hand man, so I automatically don't trust him.

"I'm supposed to report back to you two when the Kazekage, Sasori, or Deidara are dead?" Zetsu asks, tilting his head slightly.

Obito nods, thanking Zetsu for being so considerate. Afterward, Zetsu fades back into the ground, leaving me and the Uchiha alone again.

"Come on, let's go back to base." Obito suggests, standing up.

Nodding, I follow him off of the statue and back to the base.