The mission that changed it all

(y/n)'s POV

"You're telling me that there's some genjutsu master we have to find?"

Minato laughs lightly before patting Kakashi's head.

"You could say that." He smirks, watching Kakashi smack his hand away and fixing his hair.

Rin, Obito, and I all glance between eachother. We have questions, no doubt, but who has the guts to question stuff anymore? Last time we questioned our actions, Obito almost got crushed to death and Kakashi almost got a kunai through his eyes.

There was nothing we could really do any more but listen to what we were told to do.

Only three words to live by: "Finish the mission".

Minato apparently takes note of how silent we are, frowning and crouching down to look at all of us.

"I know the previous missions have been terrifying, trust me I've been out there too, but this time is different. It's a hidden cabin in a forest the war refuses to go near. I have to do my own mission, but if anything happens, just run. This is one mission you're allowed to not finish, the Hokage only wants as much information about this guy as you can get. Don't go to drastic measures." He smiles, holding out his hand.

Rin is the first to put her hand on top of his. Obito next.

I glance at Kakashi, watching his hand shake. He knows he can't not finish a mission, yet it looks like he wants to break the rules. I look back down at the three hands in front of me. How're they okay with this mission? Obito is the only one who can fight off genjutsu properly, but his sharingan definitely needs to be worked on.

We're bound to failure. That's it. This mission has no good points, we're going to be done for.

I put my hand on top of Kakashi's shaking one, grabbing it lightly and bringing both our hands onto the pile. We all stay silent besides Minato. He stands up and gives us all a hug, whispering about how proud he is of us.

The only thing on my mind, and definitely Kakashi's mind,  is how we're going to survive. We barely survived against a few anbu, how're we going to survive a master of genjutsu?

Obito's POV

I stay silent as I watch the children argue. Something felt familiar about this team, but at the same time...so different.

"So, any idea where this Sato character is?" Kakashi asks, looking over his shoulder.

I shrug and continue to walk silently. This definitely wasn't part of my plan. I never wanted to return to Konoha, yet I'm doing it for (y/n). She's not the love of my life though, Rin is. Why am I doing something I'm going to regret later for a pawn in my plan? She's not special. She's nothing to me. Why am I doing this for her?

"I'm going to make you eat dirt, Sasuke!"

I snap out of my thoughts when I see the kyuubi go to punch the Uchiha. Kakashi jumps in right away and grabs the kyuubi's wrist. As he yells at the boy, I continue walking, ignoring the rest of the team.

"Where do you think you're going?" Kakashi yells, staring holes into the back of my skull.

I turn around and smile, bowing.