five

Kilyier "Killa" Ramos

...

📍 New York, 2023

"Princess?" I looked at the girl ahead of me with lowered eyebrows, wondering what she was doing at my house.

Even though my location never changed— she never bothered to come out before... why now?

"Sy, my name is Sy." She corrected which made me mad all over again. She really expected me to call her that...?

"What you doing at my place, Sy?"

It even felt weird rolling off my tongue. I didn't know the girl I was staring at, but she wasn't my princess.

Sy sucked in a deep breathe and looked down at the ground. "I don't know, I just, I guess I wanted an explanation."

"An explanation?" I repeated slower, expressing that I was offended and confused.

"Yeah." She raised her voice. "I guess I wanted to know why my best friend of thirteen years ghosted me and turned into some—

"Thug? You think I wanted to be a fucking thug, Princess?" I snapped.

Snapping at her made me uneasy, she used to be my comfort, now I needed comforting because of her.

"I don't know because you never talked to me about it! Like... do you even play basketball any more?"

The last time I touched a basketball was that night my brother got killed. I guess my silence answered her question.

"Exactly. I'm trying to erase this image of you being the people we hated as kids, but you're making it hard." Sy shook her head.

"That's all you can do! Judge! Cause you ain't live this life, you still got your moms, mines is fucking dying!" I inched forward angrily.

Her face dropped completely— sadness glossing over her eyes. "Mrs. Ramon, s—she's dying—

"Fuck that pitying shit, we both changed! Ion play basketball anymore and you don't even go by Princess. That's your explanation!"

I stormed away and slammed my car door, watching her stand there with tears falling from her eyes as it began to rain.

...

"Wassup Keem." I dabbed up my boss, closing his car door so we could discuss business.