𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

SEASON TWO, EPISODE FOURTEEN:
LOVER

ANIYAH sinclair

"This is cute?" I ask Venus, holding up the package of Polo T-shirts. "Like, if you were a guy, you'd like this?"

I'm not sure how her and I got here, but somehow we'd texted and she ended up coming to pick me up and help me shop for Amaru's gift for Christmas.

"It's a plain T-shirt." She stares at the shirt and then looks over at me. "I'm sure he'll like it. You can't really go wrong with a simple shirt."

"So I should go over the top? Tee only gave me a one hundred and Mekhi only sent me seventy dollars. They claim I don't need to do all of this since we just started dating not too long ago, but I don't care."

"And you're trying to go over the top? What over the top thing can you buy with not even two hundred dollars? Because I'd love to know."

"Mari is a simple guy, doesn't take much to please him. Over the top would be like a decent cologne and a few shirts." I shrug. I know my guy. "I should've gotten a job."

"Well, yeah. That would always be a great start since you wanna splurge on people so bad." She says, checking her phone and giggling slightly.

"Who's the boy?"

She looks at me and rolls her eyes. "Not a guy. Definitely my business, though."

"Girl, don't nobody care about who you're talking to on that skinny ass phone." I sit the pack of shirts down and begin to walk around. We had just gotten to the mall. "Wanna go to Saks?"

"You have less than two hundred dollars on you right now. That is not Saks money."

"This is so hard. I hope he isn't going through this much trouble trying to shop for me." I frown. "My poor boyfriend. He's such an overthinker, too. He's probably having a terrible time."

"Makes two of us." She mumbles smartly. "Because I am also having a terrible time sitting around and listening to you complain about things you aren't going to get him. There has got to be something he's been wanting that's in your price range."

Some help.

"Well, I got us tickets to go to Frank Ocean's concert but that isn't until February, I was just going to give it to him for Christmas along with some other stuff."

"That had to have costed a pretty penny."

"Yup, most of my savings went into that. I just want him to have some fun and I know how much he likes his music so it's a great gift. Seeing his smile is worth way more than the tickets."

"Aw, high school sweethearts make me sick." She begins walking out of the store, and I trail behind her.

"You and Salome could've been high school sweethearts if you didn't mess that up."

"Are you a plunger? Because bringing up old shit is all that you do." She side eyes me. "Now, let's go to Starbucks. I'll buy your drink because I know you're penny-pinching over here. Don't go overboard with what you get, though."

"Okay. I have cash at home, I can give it to you when you drop me off."

"It's fine." She shrugs. "My dad sends me money every week so you don't have to pay me back, you need it more than I do anyway."