Chapter 28: Goodbye Forever?

Chapter 28:

Goodbye Forever?

I was mortified as I stood there in Kurando’s chamber. His eyes dead and I couldn’t tell if he was anywhere between mutual or angry. All I did was say I’m sorry for ruining his life—well basically that.

   “Please Kurando,” I murmured, “Say something.”

   He looked down at the cold, stone ground beneath him, “What’s the point?” He replied softly.

   “What?”

   “What’s the point?” He repeated, “You don’t care about me anyway. You fell in love with that Senri guy, not me. Obviously you chose him, his bite marks are still shown on your neck.”

   I suddenly felt as if lightning had struck me. My body froze and my mouth was gaping open. I was just staring into space. How could he tell from that far away? How did he know?! And Kaname was standing right behind me.

   “You don’t care.”

   That’s when I snapped, “I don’t care… I DON’T CARE?! I’ll have you know, Kurando Inugami, I’ve cared for you ever since the day we met! If you can’t see that then you’re pathetic! I look out for my loved ones and didn’t you ever stop to think that if I didn’t care about you, why would I come to visit you to make sure you were OK? I may not love you but I still care about you with all my heart. You are an amazing person and I’m so glad to have met someone like you—but now I honestly believe I don’t know you anymore…” I paused for a moment. “Kurando, goodbye.”

   My voice shook as I said my final words to him. I was now trembling at the sight of him and his mouth was now gaping open. He was thinking about what to say to that but he couldn’t find the right words in time.

   I bowed slowly and walked back toward the door with Kaname at my side, “Yuna!” Kurando called out.

   I stopped but didn’t turn around. I didn’t want to see that depressed face ever again.

   “I—um… Thank you.”

   I didn’t say a word and continued out the door which was closed behind both me and Kaname with a loud screeching noise.

   I walked alongside Kaname in silence until we reached the bottom. I thought he was going to ask about the bite marks in my neck until I burst into tears. He just stood there staring for a moment with a doubtful face.

   “Yamazaki… go back to your dorm and get some sleep. I’ll inform the Headmaster of your rest; don’t go to class today, OK?” He said walking off in the direction of the Academy. I looked up as tears ran down my face. Everything was happening so quickly I couldn’t believe most of it.

   I sniffed loudly and nodded. I turned around and headed back toward the day class student dorms. Well, all I hope for in life is to never do something like that again—that horrific experience I shall never forget.

Once I returned to my dorm, Shiki was gone and so was Asuna still. That made me a little happier so I didn’t have to tell them about the horrible morning. Dread was continually piling on me all week and now it’s reached its maximum shelf. I honestly don’t think I could take much longer.

   I stripped off my uniform for the first time in what seemed like years, and slipped into something more comfortable and thin. My PJs were a large option as they stood out so well in my drawer. I felt a lot better to finally be out of my uniform. I peered into the window and traced my neck with my fingertips. The bite marks were finally completely healed over. Unfortunately Kurando saw them. That also made my stomach feel as if it was getting dragged into a shredder.

   Once I hopped into bed and closed my heavy eyelids, the only thing I could really think of was Kurando; which wasn’t helping anything. I soon drifted off and dreamed about a nice meadow. Someone happened to be standing in the field of flowers. Kurando.

   His cute face grinning, he was saying something, his cheeks were slightly pink. I think he was talking to me. He laughed and looked at the floor, and glanced upward again—his eyes were now the deep red colour from when he was possessed; he mouthed some simple words that I could make out… thank you.

   I jerked upwards at the sound of something screeching in pain! Something which sounded like an animal. A cub or something? What the hell?

   “Wha—” Asuna glanced up at me, her eyes wide open. She was thinking the same thing I was… hang on—why was she here?

   “What the hell…?” I looked over at our hanging clock and saw it was 8:43 pm. “Why aren’t you on duty?” I sneered at her as I swung my legs off the bedside.

   She swallowed hard, “I was told to look after you—”

   “I don’t need looking after!” I snapped shaking my head in anger, “Why do they do this?”

   I ran to my drawer and pulled out my uniform and Disciplinary Committee slip. I pulled off my PJs and put on my uniform in less than one minute. Slipping the slip up my arm, I gave my hair a small brush and glanced at Asuna. She looked slightly upset.

   I sighed, “What?”

   “You seem different…” She muttered.

   “What do you mean?”

   “You sound pretty nasty…” She shrugged, “Maybe it’s just me.”

   I put my brush down on the drawer and turned my body so I was facing her directly, “I’m sorry, Asuna. I—I’m just a little upset. You know… Kurando and stuff.” I glanced at my window, “But now something is outside and in pain. Since it’s on the campus, it’s our job to find it and report it to the Kaien! C’mon, you gonna come with me?”

   Her slight frown turned and she stood in front of me, “O-OK! Let’s go!” We both ran to the door until she tugged at my vest soon before we even stepped outside, “But the headmaster specifically told me not to let you out of the dorm tonight.”

   I laughed, “He’s not gonna stop me, he knows what I’m like! Nothing can stop me!”