Chapter 43: Absorbing The Evil

Chapter 43:

Absorbing The Evil

Here they come. I though watching as the gates swung open and a hoard of Level E Vampires came charging in through the Academy’s grounds. I felt a hand slide into mine and I glanced up. It was Shiki.

   “I won’t let anything happen to you.” He whispered and I grinned. That time it wasn’t fake.

   “So am I for you.” I replied squeezing it. I was trembling in fear and so many negative thoughts were surrounding my mind. I could barely make out what time of day it was just by looking at the sky. I was so fazed in fear I could’ve just fainted there and then.

   Me and Shiki stood in front of the herd. They took their time to come up to our area but once they did, they stopped about 20 metres away from us. So many of them were piled behind one another; hundreds of them.

   “Why are you doing this?” I called out to all of them. I pulled out my daggers and stood tall.

   “It’s our Master’s orders.” One replied with a feisty grin.

   “Your Master turned all of you into… this?” I croaked.

   “Yes, she converted us to be like her. To be family.” He replied once again.

   “Yet she brings you to war and risks your lives for her own pleasure. That isn’t family.” Kaname said standing behind me.

   They all laughed, “Whatever she says is family to us, equals family!” They all nodded licking their lips.

   “I suppose she’s hiding then isn’t she? Behind the group of you?” I asked.

   They all exchanged happy looks with each other, “She can be anywhere at once.”

   I stepped back. What did they mean by that?

   “Now, time to kill every one of you and drink every last drop of your blood!” One screamed and the rest followed beginning a quick run.

   I just stared at them and couldn’t think of anything. Why wasn’t I reacting?! Why wasn’t I forcing my weapons upon these fiends? I’ve done it before!

   The one leading the pack was almost 5 cm away from me when he lashed out at my face. I squinted my eyes shut and heard a large scream and tearing noise.

   Opening my eyes Kurando had just torn him to bits and he just turned to dust. “If you’re not going to do anything then get lost!” Kurando spat forcing his claws into another Level E.

   Shiki pulled out his blood whip and killed three in a row, “Yuna, we need you. Please.” He whispered in a saddened voice.

   Many of the other Vampires came running past me to join the fight. Someone had placed their hand on my shoulder while running. Kaname.

   “Go find your father.” He said pointing to the entrance where Level E’s continued to pile through. Of all places, my father would be at the very end—if he was there of course.

   I nodded and skipped into the forestation around the school where no one could possibly see me. I stayed hidden for a while to catch my breath. Why the hell was I feeling like this? I should be helping! Why can’t I do this?

   I peered my head around and noticed all the Level E Vampires had now entered the school. Asuna was near the Academy’s main building entrance attending to the wounded while everyone else was fighting as if the world was about to implode.