29. Eavesdropping / The Test

⇢˚⋆ Eavesdropping / The Test
𖥻orangesunkist

⇢˚⋆ Eavesdropping / The Test 𖥻orangesunkist

---

"Oh yeah, he's doing fine," Atsumu said cheerfully over the phone, a light giggle escaping his lips.

But as he continued speaking, his smile slowly faded, realizing that he had yet to discuss Sakusa's problem and offer his help.

"Well, you see, Komori, I haven't actually talked to him about it," Atsumu sighed, his voice filled with a tinge of frustration.

"It's just. . . Gah! I don't know. Things between us are going so well, and I'm afraid of messing everything up you know?"

Komori, on the other end of the line, interjected firmly, "You HAVE to tell my cousin the truth, sooner rather than later. Kiyo hates being lied to, Atsumu."

"But I can't simply approach him out of the blue and confess that his cousin sought my assistance solely to address his steroid problem, rather than because I genuinely wanted to be friends with him. That would be like so unfair, Komori—" Atsumu's voice trailed off in frustration as he struggled to articulate his thoughts.

Sakusa's eyes widened in disbelief as he stopped himself from listening in on Atsumu's phone call any further.

The soda cans that he was holding for both him and Atsumu slipped from his grasp, clattering to the floor as he hastily retreated from the room where he had been unintentionally eavesdropping.

Stepping outside, where the lively atmosphere engulfed him, he desperately tried to regain control of his emotions. He didn't wait for Atsumu to find him; he was too angry, and hurt by what he had just heard.

Frustration surged through him, causing his fist to clench tightly.

Tears threatened to spill from his eyes as he grappled with the realization that Atsumu's only interest in their friendship stemmed from his connection to Komori.

It dawned on him that Atsumu had merely felt pity for him because of his steroid problem. Atsumu didn't genuinely care for him. He was so stupid for believing they had something special between them.

Stupid Komori and stupid Atsumu. How could they?

While lost in his whirlwind of anger and pain, Sakusa suddenly felt a tug at his shirt. As he glanced down at the culprit, his face transformed from one of anguish to a sad smile upon seeing Jiro, timidly seeking his attention.

Bending down to meet Jiro at eye level, Sakusa's heart softened.

"What's wrong, Jiro? If you need to ask me something, go ahead," he encouraged gently.

Jiro hesitated for a moment before lifting his gaze to meet Sakusa's eyes, tears streaming down his face.

The sight of the young boy crying made Sakusa's heart ache, it momentarily distracted him from Atsumu's phone call with his cousin.