Chapter Twelve

It was night time. I couldn't sleep. Moonbeams shone through the window, hitting my face as I tossed and turned in my bed. However warm my bed was, it couldn't thaw my cold and broken heart. I sat up suddenly. I quietly got out of bed and pulled on my leather boots, then padded softly out the door, towards the edge of the forest. I was lost in thought; how could Legolas have been so cruel? How could he not realise... I stopped myself. Realise what?? Surely not... I sat down on a rock, resting my face in my hands. Suddenly, I heard the thin sound of pipe reeds. The tune was beautiful and melancholy, it spoke of many things, sadness, longing, loss, and love. I wiped a tear away, and tried to pull myself together. But the music just spoke to me! Who was this mysterious player? I scanned the horizon, and spotted a silvery head bent low, a figure sitting on a tree stump by the river. The figure lifted his head, and his eyes caught the moonlight. My breath hitched in my throat. His eyes were silver, like finer spider thread, like the linings of clouds, like a rare jewel, but at the same time a pure, blue. And his eyes were so sad! They were the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. And it was at that moment that I realised I was well and truly in love with the Elf Prince, and I could not do anything to stem this tide of emotions that rose within me. But for whom did he play the sad tune for? Surely not me...

A/N I put a looot of effort into this... also the paragraphs went, i know, i'll try to include them where there's dialogue... maybe, if i'm not TOO lazy eheh <33 anyways as always let me know what you think!!! And who is Legolas playing the music for, if anyone??