Chapter Twenty-Three

I stood across from Eldarion, my arms across my chest. My mum had dressed me in shimmering silver robes that she said 'brought out the colour of my eyes'. My hair was braided back from my face, and my mother had attached a silent princess flower at to my hair. 

I felt like a total fool. Eldarion was wearing his normal clothes, his sword at his waist. His chestnut hair fell in gentle waves across his face, tangling with his long eyelashes. 

GAH SAPPHIRE, STOP STARING AT HIS EYES! I thought to myself. 

He cleared his throat, and I realised he felt as awkward as me. 'So, shall we?' he said, gesturing towards the doors. Our parents had said we were going to collect some herbs for dyeing cloth in the woods. Eldarion was there to 'protect me', even though I could do that PERFECTLY well myself {who was i kidding, I can't even shoot straight), but we both knew what this really was. An arranged date. 

 I nodded and we started walking down the path. And I was going to have to grit my teeth and bear it. Maybe I could try to be as disgusting as possible to put Eldarion off? But that wouldn't work, he'd realise what was up from a while away. 

After all, he'd known me for ages. We used to be friends.

 The cool morning breeze tamed the tempest of my boiling emotions. 

'So,' ventured Eldarion, a smile playing at the corner of his lips. Drat him, he seemed to be ENJOYING this. 'Do you know what herbs we need?' 

I concentrated on not tripping over a log, but the edge of my dress caught on the edge of it and I fell over, dirt splattering on my dress. Damn it! I got up quickly but the hem was still caught. Eldarion had stopped in his tracks, and was unabashedly grinning at the spectacle of meso uncomposed, currently engaged in tug of war with a log. It finally came free, the hem well and truly battered. I looked horrible now, what would my mother say?'

Yes,' I finally answered. 'We need saffina, amorlanth, asfolath and kingsfoil.' 

I hoped we wouldn't meet anyone else on the way, we were passing by the archery range which got quite busy. It was quite early in the morning, so hopefully no one would be there. A feeling of dread settled heavily at the bottom of my stomach. Oh God. Legolas loved shooting early in the morning. He could NOT see me with Eldarion! ELDARION of all people! Ughhhhhhh. And looking like this! But it was too late, we were nearly there.