Learning to live: doctor sloan

Hours must have passed when I woke up to the sky completely black and cleared. The hospital had a glass roof. I looked up and the Stars had came out. I lay there for a few minutes staring at them wondering what I would be doing right now if it was a normal day. Johanna had noticed I was awake and hovered over me so the stars had disappeared and her massive head was In My face.
"Hey" she smiled
"Hello" I grumbled back. "Do you have to do that?"
She stepped back so I could sit up.
"Want a coffee?" She asked.
"Yes" I answered quickly Incase she decided to decline the offer.
Then Annie chirped in "I think you will want decaf"
"No I think I want full caffeine" I stated feeling horribly tired.
She walked over so only me and Johanna could hear. "If you want a baby that is bouncing off the wall 24/7 and hardly sleeps you go on and have full caffeine"
I thought about it for a second. At this point I was beyond tired and halfway past exhausted I needed that coffee.
"Well I think I'm going to have to take the full caffeine so I can at least stay awake"
Annie gave me a disproving look and shrugged. "Fine your call"
Johanna walked over to the coffee machine and I stood up stretching my legs that felt dead. I made my way slowly to the looking glass of peeta's room. He still lay there as peaceful as ever, just like he was sleeping. Gale had fallen asleep in the chair in peeta's room is mouth wide open. I had to laugh he looked disgusting. Haymitch had disappear somewhere. I wanted to speak to peeta tell him something that might wake him but gale looked content in his sleep. I decided I would have my coffee and maybe have something to eat and then try with peeta. There had been no change in the night he was breathing on his own but hadn't woken up from his coma. Johanna came back with the most glorious smell. Coffee. I almost snatched it out of her hands when she held it out to me.
"Calm down it's not going anywhere" she mocked.
"It just smells really good"
"Coffee? It tastes amazing but the smell isn't exactly what I would call really good" she frowned.
"Well it is to me"
"Yeah okay katniss" she said clearly to shut me up.
I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my coffee.
Suddenly I felt overheated I could feel my checks burning. Johanna pulled a face at me. I placed my coffee down feeling like I would pass out.
"Take you coat off" Johanna whispered so nobody would ask what was up.
"I can't" I whispered lower.
"Why?"
"You can tell" I sighed feeling the need to rip my layers off.
"Wait I have a jumper in my bag"
"I'll still be hot" I pointed out
"It's winter"
"Right I am not choosing to be this warm"
She looked at me funnily. "Take your fucking coat off then"
I thought about it a jumper would be better than a coat so I'd have to settle.
"Fine pass me your jumper"
She threw the jumper at me and I quickly ripped off my coat. As I was doing it gale had appeared in the corridor. He stared at me wide eyed and looked to Johanna. She gave him a "shut up look" I saw him nod quickly and walk toward the wards toilets.
I shoved the jumper on so nobody else would notice and made my way to peeta's room. I turned my head around and Johanna was walking towards the toilets too,probably to speak to gale about not telling anybody. I pushed open the door to peeta's room and a doctor was in there checking on him.
I stopped in the door way not sure wether to come in or not. The doctor noticed me.
"Oh come in Mrs mellark" he smiled.
He wore a sparkling white doctors coat and a nearly ironed white shirt with a grey tie. His hair was a mixture of grey and black. He had the darkest brown eyes that looked warm and despite his age had flawless mixed raced skin.
"Call me katniss" I smiled back.
I sat down in the chair gale had been slumped in before.
"I'm doctor Ellis Sloan, peeta's leading doctor, I'm head of cardiovascular surgery" he held his hand out to me for me to shake.
"How is he?" I asked.
"Considering the trauma his heart has been through he is doing very well. His doctors from district 13 have been working around the clock to see if it was indeed the venom that has caused this. However I would to operate to get a better look. I know we have X-rays and CT scans of how the venom has affected his full body over the course of these past 5 years, but I want to do my best in finding the cause and treating it"
He looked me in the eye with every word I said.
I sat there for a moment processing what he had just said.
"Is the surgery dangerous?"
He tilted his head to side and let out a breath. "I have done this surgery over a hundred times. Maybe close to a thousand. I know the procedure in and out. The only problem is I have never seen a case of tracker jacket venom making its way into somebody's heart. I will use the procedure I always do to see the root of the problem and from there I will know what to do. We just need your consent"
I looked at doctor Sloan and looked at peeta.
"Is there any chance of him waking up on his own?"
He replied with out missing a beat "I would say not likely with the amount of venom that was left in his system. over time it's slowly decomposed his organ tissue and arteries. Very slowly of course but still. We need to extract the venom but if we start from a organ such as the liver or lung his heart could go into over drive and shut down. If and I mean if peeta did wake up on his own I'm sorry to say but he would most likely die. Maybe not straight away but over time his organs, everything, would shut down" he told me softly and slowly making sure I did not miss a single word.
"Can I speak to somebody about this like one of my friends before I make a decision?"
"Oh of course I am not here to tell you what to do I am here to advise you what is best for peeta and what the best chances of his survival are" he stated.
I slowly stood up tears forming in to my eye sand made my way into the corridor. I didn't know who to ask. There was too many people there. I thought about it for a second. Somebody peeta is close to. Gale. Haymitch. Johanna. Annie. Effie. Thom. Delly. Leighton. Too many to count. Should I speak to them all? Or would that cause disagreements. I was still stood in the doorway when haymitch walked over to me. "Hey sweetheart how you feeling?"
I looked at him I could see the hurt in his eyes. Just how mine probably looked. I decided I would speak to haymitch.
"Peeta's doctor wants to operate on him"
I started to walk so haymitch would follow.
"Okay? What did he say about the operation?" Haymitch asked.
"He said he thinks he knows what is happening to peeta that the tracker jacker venom has deteriorated his major organs and arteries. He wants to operate on his heart and extract the venom" I told him remembering every detail Dr Sloan gave me.
"What happens if you say no?" He asked.
"It's unlikely that peeta will wake up on his own and if he does wake up he won't survive" this caused me to cry. I couldn't imagine a life with out peeta.
"So he has the operation then" haymitch said.
I knew there was no other way but the thought of somebody prodding at his heart him lay cut open on a table hurt.
I nodded to haymitch. "Let's get this over with" I didn't meant for it to sound awful like I couldn't wait for him to have the operation. What I meant was I couldn't wait for peeta to wake up. I had faith he would. I trusted doctor Sloan. All I could do now is wait.