Learning to live:After dark

"God we've been out here for hours, we best get Luca back, and make sure haymitch is alright" I yawned looking at the time, we'd been out for over 6 hours.

I waited a few seconds for a response, after about 10 seconds I looked at peeta to see him asleep with Luca asleep on his chest. They both looked so cute and peaceful, I didn't want to disturb either of them.

I picked Luca off peeta's chest placing him in his pram covering him up.

"Hey peeta, it's going dark baby" I stroked his blonde curls like I always do.

He slowly opened his eyes giving off a dazed look. And suddenly I was back in the quarter quell, waking him mags and finnick up. The poisonous fog threatening to kill us all, he gave that look then, startled and sleepy. Not fully aware of what was happening. I quickly shook the memory out of my head, that was then this is now. I'm trying to start a new life.

"What time is it?" Peeta asked me rubbing his eye.

"6:20, we best get home before it gets too dark"

"Okay, are we having Luca tonight?" Peeta asked me with a yawn.

"Yeah I told Annie we would, I mean she looks so worn out all the time, i know, I know it's hard for her"

Peeta knew what I meant.

"I know" his voice cracked turning into a whisper, I know how hard it's all been on peeta too.

We both just sat there for a while in silence. I was thinking about prim and finnick an rue and every other person who never got to grow up in a world with out the hunger games. Because I killed them.

I don't know what peeta was thinking, maybe the same, maybe about his brothers, maybe about the family he wish he had. The family I don't think I can give him.

"Lets go home Kat" peeta kissed me on the forehead pulling me up.

"Yeah, let's go see haymitch"

I pushed Luca's pram towards with victors village hand in hand with peeta. It still playing on the back of my mind that I don't think I can give peeta the life he wants. I've seen how hurt Annie is, petrified about the future, the future Luca will have to grow up in. I have enough fear as it is, enough nightmares to last me a life time.

"Haymitch" peeta called threw the door.

"In here" haymitch shouted back.

Surprisingly sounding sober.

"Me an Kat have something to tell you"

"You didn't get her knocked up did you boy?" Haymitch came walking out of his kitchen into the Living room.

Peeta coughed. "No, no".

I felt a pang of guilt seeing peeta's face.

"We're getting married" I burst out.

"Well it's about time!" Haymitch laughed clapping peeta on the shoulder.

"You're awfully happy today?" I gave haymitch a quizzical look.

"We'll if you must know, I'm trying to stop drinking"

Me and peeta both looked at each other in astonishment.

"You serious?" Peeta asked him.

"We'll I'm not lying about it am I" haymitch walked over to Luca picking him up.

Me and peeta looked at each other. "What the fuck" peeta mouthed to me. I just shrugged my shoulders putting my head down to laugh.

"Haymitch! Who you talking to?" A woman's voice peeped down the stairs, a woman's voice I knew but couldn't quite make out.

Peeta raised his eyebrows at haymitch, he must of knew who owned the voice.

Haymitch just laughed.

"You're not the only ones who can have a good time, maybe you should start closing your windows ey?" My jaw dropped I didn't know where to look, haymitch just admitted to hearing me and peeta have sex. Nice.

Light footsteps prodded down the stairs.

"Hay-" the woman's voice cut short.

A smallish woman stood in haymitch's doorway, blonde flowing hair, pale skin and blue eyes.

"Effie hi" peeta walked over to the woman hugging her.

"Peeta, you look amazing" she cheerfully spoke.

Effie? She was unrecognisable, now, no wig no funny coloured skin no fancy clothes. The only thing that was the same was her Capitol accent.

"Katniss darling" she approached me

Opening her arms gesturing a hug.

"Effie" I whispered before running into her hug. I hadn't realised how much I missed her.

"So how long have you two been you know" I raised my eyebrow at haymitch, Effie's cheeks turning pink.

"Actually since after the rebellion" haymitch said.

"And you didn't tell us?" I quizzed them both.

"I was making sure it was for keeps" haymitch smiled pulling Effie into his arms.

"And is it?" Effie asked

"Yeah. I love you"

Effie's face widened into a smile, some how I knew this was the first time haymitch had told Effie this, so this is why haymitch gave up drinking. For Effie trinket. The woman who he did not get along with for years.

Peeta pulled me into a hug whispering into my ear;

"I'm just happy he's found a reason to stop drinking, I'm kind of happy he's going to be around for a lot longer, annoying as he is"

"Me too"

And I was, no matter what haymitch did, promising me he would save peeta over me, teasing me and everything else he's Done, I really did love haymitch.