Learning to live: turkey

"Good news you're being discharged today" I told peeta. Doctor Sloan had come to visit him late last night to check everything was as it should be. Thankfully peeta was recovering more than good.
He responded with a smile. "At least I can see Luca on Christmas Eve and We can join in the grill for Christmas drinks"
I rolled my eyes. "Doctor Sloan told you to not over do it"
Peeta was talking about the bar and grill in town, we would hAve a meal all together, all our friends and have a few Christmas drinks before going home.
"I have to get back to normal katniss" he stated.
"I know but you had surgery less than 2 days ago" I replied
"Katniss it's Christmas" he demanded like a child.
"Whatever but if you hurt yourself don't come crying to me gale or someone can drive you back here"
He rolled his eyes.
"Come on then get up they've said you can go home and I don't want to stay here all day" I told him.
"Okay okay"
He started getting up moving slowly and stepping into his slippers. I couldn't help but laugh he reminded me of a old man waking up in the morning.
"What" he asked with raised eyebrows.
"Nothing just hurry up old man" I joked.
"Real sensitive"
He picked up his pace walking into his bathroom.

"I can't wait to jump in my own bed" I moaned as we arrived home.
"Katniss it's 10am" peeta laughed.
"I'm so tired, let's just get in bed until we have to go out please" I begged.
"No I need to find somebody to cook for us tomorrow" peeta replied.
"We're just gonna order takeaway" I told him.
"I don't think so not on Christmas Day" he demanded.
I looked at him funny. "Yeah?"
"Can't I just cook??" He pleaded.
"Oh yeah straight out of hospital good one"
"Please katniss" he sounded like a child that wanted a toy off their mother.
"You're not going to give in are you?" I asked.
"Nope"
I wafted my hand "fine but only if you ask greasy sae to help you"
He stared at me.
"Greasy sae helps or you don't cook at all"
"Okay okay" he caved in. "I have so much to do"
I didn't understand how somebody could spring back so fast from a operation and almost heart failure.
"Try and take it easy peeta please"
"Me take it easy? You need to take it easy you're having our baby"
"Yeah peeta that's much more different than having major heart surgery and wanting to play deck the halls" I told him.
"No it isn't now go to bed" he pointed up the stairs.
"Is this what you're going to be like for the next 6 months?" I asked.
"Yes"
"Well you have to come up with me to for an hour at least"
He just looked at me.
"Peeta" I demanded.
"Fine fine"
He followed me up the stairs into our bedroom.
I climbed into bed with out even changing into my pj's.
Our bed was massive and because I climbed in on peeta's side It took me a while to place myself on to my side.
When we both got comfortable peeta asked me "so do you want a girl or boy?"
I thought about it for a second. "Well I know how boys work because of Luca and they seem pretty chilled out. Phoebe is quite high maintenance but is the cutest thing ever. As long as their healthy I guess I don't mind, what do you want?"
"A girl" he replied straight away.
I stared at him.
"But you know if we have a boy I'll love him just as much" he quickly recovered.
"Fine I want a boy"
"What about names?"
"I haven't really had time to think about it" I shrugged. "To be honest it hasn't sunk in I'm even pregnant properly yet"
"Well I like violet" Peeta suggested.
"No way" I shut him down.
"Fine then Eliseah"
"That's just Elise with an A on the end" I replied.
"You suggest some then"
"Fallon"
He looked disgusted. "That's so bad"
"What about Reid for a boy?"
He looked like he was thinking about it. "I like it"
I smiled glad we wouldn't argue that much.
"Was that the door?" I asked peeta wondering if I wasn't the only one who heard it.
"Yeah but we're not supposed to be meeting anyone until 4"
I stood up to peer out the window. Haymitch stood there with the biggest Turkey I had ever seen. It topped last years by far which I didn't think was possible.
"It's haymitch with a giant Turkey" I told peeta.
"God that was fast" he replied.
"What?"
"I asked haymitch to pick up a turkey I didn't think there would be any left considering it's Christmas Eve"
Peeta hopped down the stairs rather fast for someone with stitches around their heart.
I much slower followed him down.
"Hey sweetheart" haymitch greeted.
"Hey where did you get that from?"
"I have my ways darling"
I rolled my eyes. "Yeah I bet you do"
He handed peeta the turkey. "I'll see you both in the grill later, bye"
I shut the door behind him and made my way to the kitchen.
"We're going to be eating that for the full week it's massive" I joked.
"Rather it be too big than too small" Peeta stated.
"Will it even fit in the fridge?"
Peeta pulled open the fridge and looked at me in disgust.
"Yeah if will definitely fit in the fridge considering there is nothing else in there"
"Well I didn't exactly have time to do the food shop you know considering you was in hospital"
"Well it's a good job everyone is dropping off vegetables tonight"
"Ummm" I nodded.
I couldn't get mad at peeta he didn't say things to be mean. I knew he loved me more than anything he was just very passionate about cooking. I think he felt upset he had missed stuff being in hospital for so long and didn't want to miss anymore. Or maybe he realised how short life actually is. I know I have.