Learning to live: news

We all sat in one big circle eating our food. Luca insisted on sitting next to me so I gave him most of my chips. I could hear a few different conversations going on. "It's going to be a cold winter" I think Leighton said.
I over heard gale and thom arguing over football. Delly Annie and johanna are discussing this new show called love island. I didn't fancy engaging in any of these conversations so turned my attention to Luca. I looked at him his face covered with dribble and mashed up chips. He still looked unbelievably cute.
"You okay?" I asked him admiring his cuteness.
"Yep" he nodded. He face saddened a little "what's wrong with uncle peeta?"
I must admit my heart broke a little hearing that.
"Hes just a little bit poorly he will be back playing the claw with you before you know it" I smiled hugging him.
"Where is he?" Sweetly he asked.
"Having his medicine" I slightly lied.
"When can I see him?"
"Soon" I smiled.
He climbed into my lap whispering "are you having a baby auntie katkat"
It tickled my ear so I laughed until I had realised what he said.
I pretended like it was nothing "who told you that Luc"
He whispered in my ear again. "mama and auntie Jo said when they thought I was sleeping"
I couldn't lie to him. "I am" I brought my index finger to my lips and made a shush sound. "But don't tell anybody ifs a secret"
Ha looked puzzled. "A secret?"
"Yep" I nodded.
"I love secrets" he Beamed.
He acted so much older than 4. It scared me how much he had Grown up these past few months. He baked cakes with peeta now hand loved to paint. Especially with his hands. After a painting session with peeta my spare bedroom was always a mess and Luca and peeta would be covered head to toe in paint. Peeta called it 'expressive painting' I called it 'messy'.
Luca was lucky to have a father figure like peeta.
"I've got to go katniss" delly fumed.
"Is everything okay?" I asked dubiously.
"Yeah the babysitter who has phoebe can't stay and thom wants to say so I've got to go home. I'm sorry"
"No it's fine I understand everyone still has their lives too" I smiled.
"Yes but katniss you are part of our lives. Peeta is a part of our lives. It would change all of our lives if anything happened to anyone sat here right now"
I realised she was right I looked around and couldn't imagine my life with out anyone who was waiting here with me.
"Keep me updated" she told me. Bending down she hugged me and left.
The surgery was running longer than expected which scared me a little but as Johanna said no news is good news.
Sometime after delly left everybody had fallen asleep but me and Luca. We stayed awake colouring and watching cartoon films on my phone. As We were watching the end of this dinosaur film Luca loved Dr Sloan made his way down the corridor in his scrubs. Nervously I stood up waiting for news from him.
"The surgery went amazingly well it did take a little bit longer than anticipated because the tracker jacker venom is worse than we thought. We now know the problem and have had a head start at treating it so peers should be fine for the rest of his life. His team of doctors who treated him in district 13 have created medicine to keep his organs working and attack the venom. He may still need a couple more surgeries but none as serious as this one. He's in recovery and you can see him" he smiled.
A wave of relief washed over me and Luca stared blankly at me wondering what was happening.
"Uncle peeta is getting better" I told him.
"Yay" he squealed,not too loud incase he woke everyone up. They were all sleeping.
I didn't know what to do with Luca but it was 3:45am I couldn't wake anybody up to watch him.
Whispering I asked doctor Sloane "does peeta have any machines or anything that would scare a 4 year old in there?"
"No just a heart monitor he should be fine" he replied.
"Thank you, for everything"
He gave me a sincere smile. "My pleasure"
He walked off promising to check on peeta in the morning because he was off call now. I bent down to Luca. "Hey do you want to come see uncle peeta?"
His face beamed and he nodded uncontrollably.
"Come on then" I held my my hand out so Luca would hold it.
We slowly walked down the corridors to the recovery ward.
"I'm gonna tell him about my new dinosaurs and the new dinosaur film that is out. Do you think he will want to watch with me?"
I admired him so much he could always put a smile on my face.
"Of course he will when he's better" I smiled.
His excited domain faded.
"Will he remember me?"
I stopped walking and looked at him.
"I heard auntie jo and my mum talking about a rebellion and uncle peeta changed and forgot what Love was"
He was too smart for his age. He had grown up way too fast. I guess circumstances of this family and life style he had been brought up In. At least he didn't know what the rebellion was just yet.
"Oh no Luca honey he could never forget about you. What your mum and auntie jo were speaking about was a long time ago and very different to what is happening now"
He Surprisingly wrapped his arms around my neck. I hadn't realised how much this must be affecting Luca sometimes I forget how young he actually is.
"Come on let's go see him" I took his hand again strolling down the clean corridors, so glad that peeta for the most part would be okay.