Learning to live: LUCA

It had been 6 month since me an peeta finally got married. Delly an Thom's baby girl was due any day now. Gale had moved out of the house him an Johanna shared an now lived with Leighton. It's weird how in the space of a few month so much could change. The bakery was finally up an running properly, you wouldn't think a couple of years ago most of our district was wiped out. Autumn was definitely on it's way which meant hunting would be harder. I knew I didn't have to hunt we had more than enough food, more than enough money than we needed. It was my escape. It had always been my escape. Peeta had baking an painting to keep his mind off everything. To keep his mind off flashbacks.

"Katniss?" Somebody called walking through my front door.

"Up here" I shouted, making my way out of the spare room.

Annie stood In the hallway Luca standing next to her. He was really tall for his age.

"Katniss can I ask a massive favour?" She seemed impatient.

"Yeah sure?"

"Can you an peeta watch Luca for the weekend?, my uncle in 4 is really ill an has no other living relatives. I can't take Luca because he will cause havoc in the hospital, you know I wouldn't ask if wasn't desperate" she seemed nervous.

"No, no you know me an peeta will have Luca whenever you need us to" I smiled picking up Luca.

"Thank you" she sighed relieved. "sorry it's so last minute, I literally got the call 10 minutes ago. My train leaves in half an hour"

"Do you want me to drop you at the station?" I asked.

"no no, I've ordered a taxi it should be here any second" she smiled

"Guess you don't have time for a coffee then?"

"I wish I did, this is more of a rush than when I was in labour with Luca" she laughed. "God I hope I don't miss delly having he baby" she nervously bit her finger nails.

"I know! She wants me you an Johanna there"

"Just make sure you ring me if she does have her" Annie said walking towards the door.

"I will don't worry" I smiled following her out.

Annie bent down to Luca's hight;

"Luca? Be a good big boy for auntie katniss an uncle peeta okay? I love you"

"Wuv you too" Luca said in a little toddler voice that melted my heart. I couldn't believe he was 3 in 4months time.

He ran off to play with the collection of toys me an peeta bought for when he came over.

"Anyway I really need to go but thank you for doing this" Annie smiled hugging me.

"Don't mention it" I smiled back.

She hurried out our front door into the taxi that was waiting outside. As I closed the front door it hit me what happened the last time Annie went to district 4 for mine an peeta's wedding. That didn't end up good. Now was different though. She was in a better state of mind. She had pulled it together.

I sat with Luca playing with the dinosaurs peeta had got him from district 8 a while back. He was such a smiley toddler. His blonde hair an blue eyes an little button nose really did melt me in two.

"What's your favourite dinosaur kat kat?" He asked pulling me out of thought.

"This one" I said picking up the biggest one.

"That's a t-Rex" he told me taking it off me.

"Really? I didn't know that" I smiled.

"Yeah they eat meat" he cockily added.

"Wow that's really smart"

He just smiled carrying on playing in his own little world.

The front door opened again, "kat I'm home" peeta shouted placing his keys in the bowl.

"In here" I shouted back.

Luca shot up by the sound of peeta's voice running to him.

"Oh hiya mate" peeta said shocked scooping Luca up. "What you doin here eyy?"

"Annie's gone to 4 for the weekend or so" I informed him

Peeta looked at me worried an shocked at the same time. Obviously thinking what I thought before.

"Her uncle is sick" I quickly told him.

He still didn't seem sure.

"Will you play with us?" Luca asked peeta.

"Sure" he smiled. "But first I can feel the claw coming on" peeta had that mischievous look in his eye. He did this thing called the claw, where he would pretend his hand was turning into a claw, that he couldn't control. He would chase Luca round the house an tickle him.

"Careful" I warned fearing for my ornaments.

"The claw can not be controlled" peeta shouted chasing after Luca.

"Peeta!!" I shouted. I knew he wouldn't listen but it was worth a shot. I pulled myself up off the floor walking to the kitchen smiling to myself.