Accidental Eavesdropping

Jerome's P.O.V.

Struggling to stay awake I repeatedly shifted my position. Hoping to shake the sleep out of my body by rolling over multiple times.

Didn't work. After an hour or so of trying to fight slumber I gave up. Sprawling my legs on the cold, uncomfortable I waited.

Staring at the ceiling as my mind wandered through my thoughts calmly. Letting me take the time to fall into a deep sleep.

For how long though? I don't really care at the moment, might as well enjoy it.

A yawn rolled off of my tongue gingerly. My eyes gently lowering themselves I felt a smile grow on my lips as I prepared for dreams.

Barely conscious I let my eyes close. Expecting a dreamless sleep, but I was wrong. The silence in the cell was smashed as soon as I almost fell asleep.

A growl rumbling in my stomach I held it in. Curious as to why there would be noise at this time I let my eyes open.

Almost immediately adapting to the darkness as I did. My eyes scanning the cell I struggled to see the other end of the cement walled room.

Feeling my eyes narrow I squinted, finally making out the form of Preston holding Mat in his arms.

They seemed alright, but Preston was awake. Preston's eyes were glowing a green color.

So green it looked like the color of gamma radiation. Opening my mouth to ask him why he was awake they answered for me.

"Rob? I'm over here." Preston called out. Connecting the dots I lowered my head. Making sure to hide behind Mitch but still able to see Preston.

"Hey." Rob replied. Seeming a little less fearful than he was moments ago. A long pause was taking between the two.

As tension circled the cell. Notifying me there was still a grudge one of them was holding. Which one though?

"Hi Rob." Preston spat. Of course. Preston's green eyes were threatening and cold. Seeming to glare right through Rob's stare.

"Are you alright Preston?" Rob questioned. Rob's figure was standing right in front of the cell bars. Far from the door.

"Oh I'm fine, but Matt's not." Preston growled. The venom and salt laced in his voice was unreal. Making me rethink of picking a fight with him.

"Preston, it wasn't my fault....And you know that.." Rob defended. Patience seemed to sway around the room.

While small, almost inaudible whimpers came from the side of the room Preston was on.

Turning my sight to Preston I watched him. The neon green glowing eyes shined with hurt and pain. But they also shined with truth.

"I know..." Preston whimpered. Preston's voice cracked when he said that. Letting me and Rob know he was crying.

"Preston please don't cry!" Rob pleaded. Marching to the door I watched him pull out a key as he began to unlock the cell door.

A clicking sound satisfying Rob he backed up. Kicking the door I watched it swing open. A slamming sound pierced through the silence.

The creaking sound of the swinging door poking at the silence I turned to look back at Rob. Rob's hand was out stretched.

Waiting for Preston. Patient, wanting to know if Preston would take his hand.

Bitter silence fogged the air. Slowly yet surely, I felt the weight crumple from Preston's shoulders.

As the cold, heartless act Preston was pulling shattered. Leaving him to be the vulnerable, sad one nobody ever see's....Ever.

Not seeming to take it anymore I watched Preston as he shot upwards and practically bashed into Rob.

Rob whipped his hands to the opposite sides of him as Preston ran into his arms. Securing his arms around Preston I watched them.

A huge grin on my lips as I watched the two. Preston held onto Rob for dear life. Even though they weren't in danger.

They still loved each other like their life depended on it. And that was the best type of love their is.