Chapter 13: Night off from parenthood

A week later

Charlie's POV

"When you found out you were pregnant with Ruby were you confused and worried?" Fiona had started off this session with talking about the rape and Ruby. I was petrified. I was 14 and I knew that was way too young to have a baby, but by the time I found out it was too late. My parents also figured it out, but I couldn't tell them I had been raped. Grant was a huge mistake...he took advantage of me and then blamed me for it. I wanted to get rid of that baby so bad, but it was too late & I was stuck with it" I explained.

"You and Ruby are quite close now though...but would you have changed anything about the past?"

"I probably would have changed the way I reacted with Ruby was born...I couldn't cope, I tried so hard but I just had to run away. But I'm grateful to my parents for raising her to be a kind, beautiful young woman...she deserved that" I nodded. Talking about Ruby's birth and the rape pulled up many emotions in me that I didn't want to talk about.

"I think you not being able to talk about what happened when you were 14 has built up over the years. I know you got your revenge on Grant and tried to get him to confess to what he did, but you still needed to talk about it...and I'm glad you are now" Fiona nodded. "So how is Brax and Ruby's relationship? Is there any distance between them due to her being from a previous relationship as such?"

"Not at all...I mean sometimes I feel like Brax see's my C- section scar and I can tell he is angry about what Grant did to me but he treats Ruby like she's his own daughter and I'm so happy she has a father figure back in her life. I love the way they are together and I really hope him and Zoey are the same way" I gave her a small smile. We soon got onto the topic of watching Ruby growing up and not being able to tell her I was her mother, along with Ruby moving to the city with Casey, but the session soon came to an end I again I was feeling like little by little some weight was being lift off my shoulders.

"So next session I want to talk about Zoey...and I was wondering if next week maybe Brax and Zoey could come in...I'd like to meet both of them" She smiled. I nodded before thanking her and leaving. Bringing Zoey and Brax to a session...I don't know how I felt about that. I suppose it would get a lot out in the open between Brax and I. As soon as I got back to Morag's I rang Brax like I had been doing every night.

"Hey" He answered the phone sounding tired.

"Hey...you sound like you've just woken up?" I questioned seeing as it was 5.30pm.

"Ah yeah Zoey was up most of last night with a fever" He sounded calm about the whole thing.

"Why didn't you ring me? I could have come home or something. Is she ok?" I started to panic.

"Charlie she's fine...I rang Sid and he came over straight away and gave her some children paracetamol and she went straight off to sleep. So she's been sleeping most of the day. Marilyn looked after her for about an hour while I fixed a few things up at work then I came home and she's as happy as Larry, you wouldn't even tell that something was wrong with her" He chuckled. "She on her play mat right now having a good time" He continued laughing.

"Can you take a photo and send it to me please?" I smiled.

"Sure. So did you have a session today?" He asked.

"Yeah...we talked about Grant and Ruby today" I explained carefully, knowing that Brax didn't like my past at all and know how it made me feel.

"Are you alright?" He asked worried.

"Yeah...it felt good to get things out about all that. She thinks that all this stuff happened now could have to do with me not being able to talk about what happened to me then" I tried to hold back tears.