Chapter 28: Strong

Charlie's POV

I woke up from my restless sleep and looked at the clock on the bedside table. 4am and I had hardly slept a wink. Zoey had been sleeping soundly until I got out of bed and her eyes shot open like she knew something was going on. "Come on baby, time for a feed yeah" I picked her up and took her out to give her a feed. I walked into the living room only to find Casey sitting there flicking through channels. "You're not going to find a decent show on at this time of night" I chuckled before he turned around and smiled.

Couldn't sleep?" He commented.

"Nope...just so many things going through my mind right now" I sighed. Casey stood up and took Zoey off me.

"What are you doing awake little cutie?" He smiled at her before sitting back down on the couch as I went and got her a bottle. I sat down on the couch next to Casey and give him the warm bottle and watched as he fed my baby. "Someone's hungry!" He continued to smile at her.

"Going without for nearly 24 hours will do that to you" I mumbled and stroked her whispers of hair.

"Charlie, Brax is going to make it through this...he's a Braxton, we all pull through in the end" Casey nodded at me.

"This is even scarier than last time Case. Last time he collapsed in my arms and had only 1 stab wound but this time I watched as it happened and there was nothing I could do" I tried not to cry.

"Charlie, listen to me, if Brax isn't strong enough to get through this, than I don't know anyone else who is!" Casey reassured me. We ended up staying up until sunrise before getting dressed and heading to the hospital. We walked through the corridor before we noticed Ruby and Sid standing by Brax's door.

"What's going on?!" I ran up to them with Zoey in the pram.

"Brax has woken up...Charlie you're going to have to wait to see him, the Doctors are still assessing him. He is still in a very fragile state and obviously his wounds still need time to heal, but I think he should be ok" Sid commented before going off to attend to other patients.

"Rubes, how you feeling this morning" Casey wrapped his arms around Ruby and kissed her forehead.

"Much better. Sid said I can go home once I sign the discharge papers" She smiled.

"Aww hun, that's great" I nodded. I watched as a few doctors opened the door to Brax's room before coming out to speak to us.

"Darryl seems to be doing surprisingly well this morning. We still need to monitor him though and we would like to keep him in here for about a week, depending on his progress" One of the doctors explained to us.

"Can we go see him?" I asked quickly.

"Just one at a time please" He nodded before walking off. I smiled before walking in and seeing Brax lying on the bed looking all dopey.

"Hey you!" He smiled. I pushed the pram over to him and got Zoey out for him to see. "How are all my favourite ladies?" He asked.

"We're all worried sick and Ruby is allowed to go home soon" I nodded, trying not to cry.

"So every one is ok? What about Jake?" He asked.

"Jake's dead Brax. The police shot him down" I sat down on the chair next to the bed. "Do you remember anything?"

"The last thing I remember is seeing your face and hearing the words 'This is for my brother'...I thought I was going to die and the last thing I wanted to see was you...I just wanted to make sure you were ok" He whispered.

"Oh my god!" I stood up and tried to hug him gently, careful not to hurt him. "I thought I'd lost you" I burst into tears.

"Ya can't get rid of me that easily ay" He chuckled before kissing my hairline.