8 The Dark Forest

We walked through the dark hallway.

    "Hagrid always wanted a Dragon, told me so the first time I ever met him." Harry told us.

    "It's crazy." Ron agreed. "And worse Malfoy knows."

"I don't understand? Is that bad?" Hermione asked.

"It's bad." I say.

I stopped as Professor McGonagall stepped out holding a candle. "Good evening." Behind her Draco stepped out.

———

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken."

"50?" Harry said shocked.

"Each." Professor McGonagall added. "And to ensure it doesn't happen again, all five of you will receive detention."

"Excuse me, Professor." Draco's smile left his face. "Perhaps I heard you wrong, I thought you said the five of us."

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy, you see, honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will join your classmates in detention." Professor McGonagall told him.

————

The next night we were led outside by Filch.

"A pity they left the old punishments die." Filch sighed. "There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming."

We soon arrived at Hagrid's small little hut.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight." Filch told us. "He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest. A sorry lot this Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody Dragon, are you?"

"Norbert's gone." Hagrid sniffed. "Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony."

"Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind." Hermione told him.

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania? What if the other Dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all." Hagrid worried.

"Oh, for God's sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the Forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you." Flitch told him.

"The Forest? I thought that was a joke. We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are...Werewolves!" Draco stressed clearly scared.

"There's more than Werewolves in those trees, Lad. You can be sure of that." Filch smiled. "Nighty-night."

———

We followed Hagrid through the forest. A fog covered the forest around us seeping through the trees. The trees were closes together and even in the brightest of days I doubt any sunlight got in.

He stopped and bent down sticking his fingers in a puddle of a substance a little too thick to be just water.

     "What is that?" I ask as he stands up.

    "What we're here for. See that? That's Unicorn blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been hurt bad by something. So, it's our job to go and find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, (Y/n), you'll come with me. And, Harry, you'll go with Malfoy." Hagrid tells us.

"Okay, then I get Fang." Draco decides.

"Fine. Just so's you know, he's a bloody coward." Hagrid said.

The dog whined as Hagrid said that.

————

Draco came running through the trees shaking like a coward with Fang behind him but no Harry.
We follow Fang through the trees.

"Harry!" I called as we found him.

"Hello there, Firenze." Hagrid greeted the Centaur standing in front of Harry. "I see you've met our young Mr. Potter. You all right there, Harry?"

"Harry Potter, this is where I leave you. You're safe now." Firenze told Harry before he walked off.

I looked past Harry to see a dead Unicorn on the ground.

————

"You mean, You-know-who's out there, right now, in the Forest?" Hermione asked as we sat safely in our common room on the couch in front of the warm burning fire.

"But he's weak." Harry stood up. "He's living off the Unicorns. Don't you see? We had it wrong, Snape doesn't want the Stone for himself."

"He wants the Stone for Voldemort." I realize.

"Exactly. With the elixir of life. Voldemort will be strong again. He'll— he'll come back." Harry sat down.

"But if he comes back? You don't think he'll try to kill you, don't you?" Ron wondered nervously.

"I think if he'd had the chance. He might have tried to kill me tonight." Harry said.

"And to think I've been worrying about my potions final." Ron said.

"Hang on a minute, we're forgetting one thing." I look up at Hermione. "Who's the one Wizard Voldemort always feared?" After we didn't answer she did. "Dumbledore. As long as Dumbledore's around, Harry, you're safe. As long as Dumbledore's around you can't be touched."

————

"I'd always heard Hogwarts' end-of-year exams were frightful. But I found them rather enjoyable." Hermione said as we walked.

"Speak for yourself." Ron told her.

"All right there Harry?" I ask nothing him holding his scar.

"My scar, it keeps burning." Harry said.

"It's happened before." Hermione pointed out.

"Not like this." Harry said.

"Perhaps you should see the nurse?" Ron suggested.

"I think it's a warning." Harry said. "It means dangers coming. Oh. Of course." Harry stopped at the sight of Hagrid's hut.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd, what Hagrid wants more than anything is a Dragon and a stranger turns up and just happens to have one?" Harry explains as we quickly walk towards Hagrid's hut. "I mean, how many people wonder around with Dragon eggs in their pockets? Why didn't I see it before?"