34 Professor Moody

It was our first Defence Against the Dark Arts class of the year. I walked up into the classroom with Hermione, Ron and Harry. I sat down in the desk beside Hermione. We were two desks away from the front.

   "Alastor Moody." He introduced picking up a white stick of chalk and writing his name, 'Moody' roughly on the chalkboard. "Ex-Auror... Ministry malcontent... and your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"
I had a small urge to raise my hand, not that I had a question but just for fun. I decided against it, it didn't seem to be the smartest choice.
Professor Moody looked at completely silent classroom before he starts speaking again.
    "When it comes to the Dark Arts... I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" Professor Moody, asked.

    "Three, Sir." Hermione spoke.

    "And they are so named?" Professor Moody question as he turned writing on the board.

    "Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will—" Hermione said but it more seems like she was trying to keep her self calm.

    "Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct." He said, finishing writing the words 'unforgivable curses' on the blackboard, in messy capitals and turned to face us. "The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I SAY different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared!" He turned around to the blackboard. "And you need to find another place to put your chewing gum... besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" Moody yelled with his back, facing the class.
We all turned our heads back towards him as he was reaching under his desk.

    "No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head." Seamus whispered.

Professor Moody, whipped around, throwing the truck across the room, hitting Seamus. "AND HEAR ACROSS CLASSROOMS!" Professor Moody yelled. "So which curse shall we see first?" Moody said in a normal voice walking up to Ron and Harry's desk. "WEASLEY!" He shouted, making Ron jump.

    "Yes?" Ron looked up at him.

    "Stand." Professor Moody ordered, and Ron rose from his chair. "Give us a curse."

    "Well, my Dad to tell me about one. The Imperius Curse." Ron said.

    "Oh, yeah, your Father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Professor Moody walked back over to his. He opened jar and lifted out a tiny spider/ crab looking thing. He made a grow bigger before saying the curse. "Imperio!"

He moved his wand, pointing it at the first desk, which Neville and Dean sat at, the creature jumped with the movement of the wind landing in front of Dean. Moody then points is one up and the spider landed on Crab's head.

"Don't worry. It's completely harmless." Professor Moody, assured us. We laughed and watched as the spider moved from Crabby's head to a Gryffindor girls hand. She was shaking as Professor Moody made it crawl up her arm. "If she bites..." He brought the spider into the air above Ron's head. "She's lethal." Ron's face was a pure terror as it landed his head. He froze keeping his eyes on it. "What are you laughing at?" Professor Moody looked at Malfoy and moved his wand to Draco, causing the spider to land directly on his nose.
He turned to Goyle who is sitting beside him as he cried. "Get off!"
Goyle boiled his arms and they're not really doing any help. I laughed with the others.

"Talented, isn't she? What should I have her do next? Jump out the window?" Moody laughed, causing the spider to cling onto the glass of the closed window. His voice than instantly changed, to be completely serious. "Drowned herself."
He made the creature hover above a bucket full of water. The creature desperately try to keep itself away from the water. For some booty, then gently made it have her back to him before making it land in his hand. "Scores of Witches and Wizards have claimed... they only did You-Know-Who's bidding... under the influence of the Imperius Curse. But here's the rub: How do we sort out the liars?"

"You can't. The Curse undetectable if someone is under it." I say.

"Exactly, Miss Black. Another, another?" Almost everyone slowly rose their hands. "Up, up. Come on. Longbottom, is it?" Professor Moody questioned just as Neville was starting to raise his hand. "Up. Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology." Neville gave a nervous nod.

"There's the... the Cruciatus Curse."

"Correct, correct. Come, come." Moody motion. Neville slowly walked over to him as Professor Moody placed the creature down on his desk."Particularly nasty. The Torture Curse. Crucio!"
As soon as he said those words, the creature began to squeal in pain as its body shook. Everyone else in the classroom was uncomfortable we all felt for the creature as a wriggled.
But my eyes fell on Neville's face. I could see the pain as he watched the spider helplessly cry out. It bothered him, I hated how he had stand so close. I watched as Neville squeezed his eye shut mood. He still not stopping.

"STOP! Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him?! STOP IT!" I yell.
Moody looked up, as if he was in his own world, just staring at the creature in pain and just now remembering where he was as he looked at me than Neville before finally stopping.
The poor creature shrunk back, finally free from the pain. Neville just stood there with his eyes closed, he did not move is Professor Moody picked up the spider and walked over to my desk. "Um..."
He placed it down in front of me. I looked at Hermione and I could see her hurt expression. She knew what I was about to be asked. "Perhaps you could give us the last Unforgivable Curse, Miss Black."

I take a deep breath and look up at Moody, giving him a small nod. I don't think he expected that, but it wasn't going to stop me from saying anything.

    "Yes. The last Curse. The Killing Curse." I take a breath and hold my hand's still. "Avada Kedavra."

Moody nodded before pointing his wand at the creature in front of me. "Avada Kedavra." There was a flash of green light, and the creature fell dead. "Only one person is known to have survived it... and he's sitting in this room." Professor Moody slowly walked up to Harry stopping right above him.