12 Making Potions

"Yes, Miss Granger?" McGonagall asked as she had her hand in the air.

     "Professor... I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione asked lowering her hand.

McGonagall fav a look around the class. "Very well. You all know, of course... you are known that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago... by the four greatest Witches and Wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff... Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed in magical learning should be kept within all-magic-families. In other words, Pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend... Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle... known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it... until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone... would be able to open the Chamber... and unleash the horror within, and by so doing... purge the school of all those who... in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

   "Muggle-borns." Hermione said.

    "Naturally, the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." McGonagall tried to lighten the mood.

    "Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione asked.

     "The Chamber is said to be home to something... that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home... of a monster."

————

    "Do you think it's true? Do you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron wondered as we walked through the hall.

    "Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are." Hermione said.

    "If there really is a Chamber of Secrets, and it has been opened, that means-" Harry said.

    "The heir of Slytherin, has returned to Hogwarts. The question is, who is it?" Hermione wondered.

     "Let's think. Who do we know who thinks all Muggle-borns are scum?" Ron said.

    "If you're talking about Malfoy." I say.

    "Of Course. You heard him. You'll be next, Mudbloods." Ron said.

    "I heard him. But Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?" I say.

    "Maybe Ron's right. I mean, look at his family. The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin for centuries." Harry explained.

    "Crabbe and Goyle must know. Maybe we could trick them into telling." Ron said.

     "Even they aren't that thick. But there might be another way. Mind you, it would be difficult. Not to mention we'd be breaking about 50 school rules. And it'll be dangerous. Very dangerous." Hermione told us.

————

We were in the library.

    "Here it is. The Polyjuice Potion." Hermione said walking over with a book. "Properly brewed, the Polyjuice Potion allows the drinker... to transform himself temporary into the physical form of another."

    "You mean if Harry and I drink that stuff, we'll turn into Crabbe and Goyle?" Ron asked.

   "Yes." Hermione nodded.

    "Wicked! Malfoy will tell us anything." Ron smiled.

    "Exactly. But it's tricky. I've never seen a more complicated potion." Hermione told us.

    "How long will it take to make?" I ask.

    "A month." Hermione answered.

     "A month?" Harry questioned. "But, Hermione, if Malfoy is the Heir of Slytherin... he could attack half the Muggle-borns in the school by then."

    "I know. But it's the only plan we've got."

————

Quidditch, a intense game. This game was Gryffindor to Slytherin and Slytherin was winning.

    "Blimey! Harry's got himself a rogue Bludger. That's been tampered with, that has." Hagrid yelled. My eyes find Harry as he shoots through the sky a Bludger following his every move.

    "I'll stop it." Ron held out his wand.

    "No!" I quickly push his hand down.

    "Even with a proper wand, it's too risky. You could hit Harry." Hermione explained and we were left to watch helplessly from the sidelines.

I watch Harry roll into the sand.

    "Let's go." Hermione said. Ron, Hagrid and I followed her through the stands to Harry.

    "Harry Potter has caught the snitch. Gryffindor wins!" Was announced.

We run onto the field as the Bludger continued to attempt to hit Harry.

    "Finite incantatem!" I say and Bludger explodes.

    "Are you okay?" Hermione asked.

    "No. I think my arm is broken." Harry hissed.

    "Not to worry." Lockhart said rushing down beside Harry. "I will fix that arm of yours straightaway."

   "No. Not you." Harry said.

    "Boy doesn't know what he's saying." Lockhart took Harry's arm and rolled up his sleeve. Harry winced in pain at Lockhart's touch. "This won't hurt a bit." I watched nervously. "Brackjum Emendo!"
There was a light, when it was gone Harry's arm sagged.
Lockhart picked up his arm and Harry's arm jiggled bending easily the wrong way. It was disgusting.

    "Yes, well, that can sometimes happen... um... but the point is..." Lockhart bent Harry's hand far back. "You can no longer feel any pain, and, very clearly, the bones are not broken."

    "Broken? There's no bone's left." Hagrid said.

     "Much more flexible, though." Lockhart said.

————

Harry was taken to the hospital's wing, he'd be staying for a night. Luckily Madam Pomfry is able to grow his bones back.

————

    "You mean the Chamber of Secrets has been opened before?" Hermione questioned Harry after he explained everything at a house elf, Dobby told him.

    "Of course. Don't you see? Lucius Malfoy must have opened it when he was at school here. Now he's taught Draco how to do it." Ron explained.

    "Maybe." Hermione said. "We'll have to wait for the Polyjuice Potion to know for sure." I sat against as wall in the girls washroom with the boys and Hermione as she worked on the potion.

    "Enlighten me. Why are we brewing this potion in broad daylight... in the middle of the girls lavatory?" Ron wondered. "Don't you think we'll get caught?"

     "No. No one ever comes in here." Hermione smiled.

    "Why?" Ron asked.

    "Moaning Myrtle." I say.

   "Who?" Ron questioned still confused as the ghost of a girl flew behind him.

    "Moaning Myrtle." I repeated.

      "Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Ron asked.

    "I'm Moaning Myrtle." The girl yelled making Ron jump. "I wouldn't expect you to know me. Who would ever talk about ugly, miserable, moping, Moaning Myrtle?" She then screamed flying into a toilet with a splash.

    "She's a little sensitive." Hermione said.