15 Follow The Spiders

Ron was shaking with fear as we followed the trail of spiders into the Dark Forest.

"Why couldn't it be, Follow the butterflies?" Ron mumbled.

We were lead deeper and deeper into the forest, the wind howled through the trees as the fog covered the floor. The tree trunks were bigger the farther we went and Ron begged to go back but we couldn't. We reached the entrance of a tunnel. Ignoring Ron's pleads, we descended into the dark.

The tunnel led out of the ground and we found ourselves looking like ants amongst the giant trees.
We went a little further coming across giant webs.

"Who is it?" A raspy voice asked.

"Ron don't panic." Harry said.

"Hagrid?" The voice asked. "Is that you?" Branches thrash.

"We're friends of Hagrid's." Harry said we stumbled back as a giant spider emerged from a hole in the ground. Giant by larger than a horse. "And you? You're— you're Aragog, aren't you?"

"Yes." The spider spoke. "Hagrid has never sent men into our hollow before."

"He's in trouble." Harry said. "Up at the school, there have been attacks. They think it's Hagrid. They think he opened the Chamber of Secrets. Like before."

"That's a lie!" Aragog shouted. "Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets."

"Then you're not the monster?" Harry asked.

"No. The monster was born in the castle. I came to Hagrid from a distant land... in the pocket of a traveler." Aragog explained.

"You fit in a pocket?" I mumble to myself.

Ron pulled on Harry but he just shushed him. "But if you're not the monster, then who did kill that girl 50 years ago?"

"We do not speak of it. It is an ancient creature we spiders fear about all others."

"But have you seen it?" Harry wondered.

"I never saw any part of the castle, but the box in which Hagrid kept me. The girl was discovered in a bathroom. When I was accused, Hagrid brought me here." Aragog said.

"Harry, (Y/n)..." Ron whimpered again.

"What?" Harry turned to him.

Ron looked up and pointed with a shaking finger.

We looked up to see spiders about the size of Fang crawling down towards us.

"Well, thank you." I gulp as we back up.

"We'll just go." Harry said.

"Go?" Aragog questioned. "I think not. My Sons and Daughters do not harm Hagrid on my command, but I cannot deny them fresh meat when it wonders so willingly into our midst. Goodbye, friends of Hagrid.

"Can we panic now?" Ron asked terrified.
A spider dropped down right behind us Harry swung the lamp at it and we attempted to fight some off. "Know any spells?"

"One, but it's not powerful enough for all of them." Harry told us.

"Where's Hermione when you need her?" I asked.

Just then a car engine roars, we look up to see a blue car drive down towards us, knocking hundreds of spiders out of the way. Comes to a stop right in front of us and opens two doors. Quickly we ran in. I climbed in the back with Fang and Harry and Ron sat in the front.

"Arania Exumai!" Harry shouted at a spider pointing his wand. There was a bright light and the spider was shot back.

By itself, the car backed up quickly escaping from the spiders.

"Glad we got out of there." Ron breathed.
As he said that a spider jumped at the broken window. It wrapped its legs around Ron's neck as he screamed out in pure terror.

I took out my wand pointing it at the spider.

"Arania Exumai!" I yelled and the spider shoot back freeing Ron.

"Thanks for that." Ron said.

"You're welcome." I say as I spot hundreds of spiders heading towards us.

"Get us out of here. NOW!" Harry yelled Ron stepped on the pedal as the car backed up. "COME ON!"

"Move faster!" I shout.

The car turned around before driving forward quickly. The spiders were catching up.

"Get us in the air." Harry told Ron.

"The flying gear is jammed." Ron panicked.

"Come on! PULL!" Harry yelled.

"I'm trying!" Ron shouted as we all pulled on the gear quickly approaching the spiders ahead of us.

Finally it moved and I fall back into the back seat as the car lifts off into the air.

—————

The car crashed to the ground in front of Hagrid's hut. Quickly we all climb out.

"Follow the spiders. Follow the spiders. If Hagrid ever gets out of Azkaban, I'll kill him." Ron yelled. The car suddenly starts by itself, closing its doors it drove off into the forest. "I mean, what was the point of sending us in there? What have we found out?"

"We know one thing." Harry said.

"Hagrid is innocent. It was never him." I say.

—————

We visited Hermione the next day. I noticed her other hand was holding something, I pull the paper out.

"What's that?" Harry asked, I hand it to him.

"It's why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked." I say.

————

We walked through the corridor as Harry read the paper aloud.

"Of the fearsome beasts that roam our land... none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years... instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders free before it. This is it." Harry looked up. "The monster in the chamber of secrets is a basilisk. that's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake."

"But if he kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?" Ron asks.

I think for a moment on his question before I realize something. "Reflections. No one has ever looked at it directly."

"Colin saw into his camera. Justin— Justin must have seen the basilisk from nearly headless nick. Nick got the full blast of it. But he's a ghost, he couldn't die again. And Hermione had the mirror. I bet you anything she was using it to look around corners in the castle in case it came along." Harry explain to Ron.

" good thing she did, it came in handy." I say.

"And Mrs. Norris?" Ron asked. "I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror."

"The water. There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the basilisks reflection." Harry said.

"How's a basilisk been getting around?" Ron wondered. "A dirty, great snake. Someone would have seen it."

Harry looked on the paper. " Hermione's answer to that too."

" pipes, it's using the plumbing." I say. "Aragog said that girl who died 50 years ago. She died in the bathroom. I don't think she left."

"Moaning Myrtle." Ron caught on.

"All students are to return to their houses dormitories at once." We heard McGonagall's voice over the intercom. "All teachers to the second floor corridor immediately."
Of course we didn't listen and went to the second floor corridor.