13 Snake

"Gather round!" Lockhart yelled. We all crowded around the long table. Lockhart walked across it. "Gather round. Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me. In light of the dark events of recent weeks. Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start Dueling Club... to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves... as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works." He threw his cloak into the crowd causing girls to fight for it. "Let me introduce my assistant... Professor Snape." We all look as Snape walked up onto the long platform. "He has sportingly agreed to help with a short demonstration. Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him. Never fear."
They raised their wands, gave a bow then stood back to back before walking to opposite ends. They turned around and took their stances. "One. Two. Three!" Lockhart counted.

"Expelliarmus!" Snape cast an Lockhart went flying back without a fight.

"Do you think he's all right?" Hermione asked worried.

"Who cares?" Ron smiled.

"It was brilliant." I enjoy.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape." Lockhart dusted himself off. "But if you don't mind me saying, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy."

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students... to block unfriendly spells, Professor." Snape said.

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?" Lockhart chose.

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?" Snape said.

I watched the two boys start the same way Lockhart and Snape did.
Lockhart counted and they started. But not exactly following the rules.
"Everte Statum!" Draco yelled at the count of two not three.
Harry flew backwards hitting the ground hard, but he got up. "Rictusempra!"
Draco spun through the air landing on his bottom. Snape pulled him up shoving him forward.

"Serpensortia!" Draco shouted and a snake shot from his wand.
It slithered towards Harry hissing at the students close.

"Don't move, Potter." Snape walked forward. "I'll get rid of it for you."

"Allow me, Professor Snape. Alarte Ascendare!" The snake was just thrown in the air landing unharmed only more angry. The snake turned to a Hufflepuff boy who stood close by. Harry calmly walked towards the snake speaking in a strange language, it was like a loud whisper. The snake continued its pursuit until Harry spoke more and it stopped turning to him.

"Vipera Evanesca." Snape spoke and the snake caught fire burning to nothing.

"What are you playing at?" The Hufflepuff asked Harry.

————

We walked back inside the common room.

    "You're a Parselmouth? Why didn't you tell us?" Ron asked Harry. I was still confused about this whole situation not having a clue what this word meant.

    "I'm a what?" Harry asked.

      "You can talk to snakes." Hermione explained.

    "I know. I accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once. Once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it." Harry said.

   "No, they can't. It's not a very common gift, Harry. This is bad." Hermione said.

    "What's bad? If I hadn't told that snake to not attack Justin-" Harry spoke.

     "That's what you said to it." Ron said.

    "You were there. You heard me." Harry said confused.

    "I heard you speaking Parseltongue. Snake language." Ron told him.

     "I spoke a different language?" Harry realized. "But I didn't realize- How can I speak a language without knowing I can?"

    "I don't know, but it sounded like you were egging the snake on or something. Harry, listen to me. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes too." Hermione explained.

    "Exactly. Now the whole school's gonna think you're his great-great-great grandson." Ron said.

    "But I'm not." Harry lightly stopped his foot. "I can't be."

    "He lived a thousand years ago. For all we know, you could be." Hermione said.

————

People would glare at Harry same as they did to me but only everyone.

——————

Months later the potion was ready, it was Christmas time. The last thing Hermione needed was a hair from the people we were turning into.
In one of my classes I sat behind a Slytherin girl. I easily pull a strand from her head. She yelped and turned around to face me.

"Whoops." I say with a smile.

"You did that on purpose." Pansy accused.

"Maybe I did, and maybe if you manage to keep the knots that make up your hair off my desk then you won't have to worry about me possible doing it again." I say. She gave me a glare and turned back around.

————

Hermione finished off the potions as we watched all wearing Slytherin robes.

"We'll have exactly one hour before we change back into ourselves." Hermione said handing us each a glass. I looked at the thick liquid. "Add the hairs."

I dropped the hair in.

"Ugh. Essence of Crabbe." Ron looked like he was about to throw up.

"Cheers." I said.

The moment the liquid touched my mouth I wanted to spit it out. It was foul I could feel it slowly climbing down my throat.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." Ron dropped the glass causing it to shatter as he ran.

"Me too." Hermione said doing the same as Ron.

"I can't." I hold my hand over my mouth as the glass slips from my hand I run to a stall, shutting the door and crouching over the toilet.
I looked at my hands to see them change. Once the feeling of throwing up left I opened the door.

"Harry? Ron?" I question as I look at the two boys now exact copies of Crabbe and Goyle.

"(Y/n)?" Harry questioned.

"Bloody hell!" Ron said in his own voice.

"We still sound like ourselves." Harry realized. "You need to sound more like Crabbe."

"Bloody Hell." Ron deepened his voice.

"Excellent." Harry said.

"Where's Hermione?" I ask.

"I-I don't think I'm going. You go on without me." Hermione called still locked in a stall. "You go on without me."

"Hermione are you okay?" Harry asked.

"Just go. You're wasting time." Hermione said.

"Come on." Harry said.

"I'm staying." I say.

"(Y/n)?" Harry wondered.

"Draco will speak more freely if it's just you two." I say.