The Unexpected Happening

Parvati rushed to Mena's chambers, her heavy bridal attire making it a bit difficult for her. She entered her room and saw her mother laying on the bed with her hand maidens fanning her to wake her up. Himavan, Mainak and Ganga stood beside her bed, all looking worried. Parvati went inside and sat beside her mother's side and rubbed her hands, trying to wake her up.

"How did this happen, Pitashree? Bhaiya? Didi? You all were present there. Then how did this happen?"

"Bon, calm down" Ganga said, going to her side, "It was a... Mishap. Maa couldn't understand Mahadev's real form and that's...."

Before she could complete, Mena started to wake up. Parvati helped her up and gave her some water.

"Are you feeling alright now, Maa?" Parvati asked.

Mena looked at her and steadied herself and then said, "Alright? You think I will be alright seeing what you have done? Parvati! This your Shiva? This horrifying? For him you have undertaken such hardships?"

"Maa you have judged him wrong. You have only seen his outer appearance" Parvati tried to persue her but Mena was in no mood to listen to her.

"I don't want to listen to you, Parvati! Not anymore. Have you seen his companions? They are ghastly. Monstrous. You will live amongst them? Forget his followers, Shiva himself is so unruly. He will know nothing about a household. Your life will become hell, Parvati. No no I cannot let this happen to my daughter. I have made up my mind. This wedding will not happen. I will not let it happen!"

Mena's words stunned everyone.

"What are you saying, Maa? You can't do this" Parvati said, now a little worried.

"Of course I can. I am your mother and I cannot throw you into this ocean of misery. It is better that I would end your life with my own hands than let you marry that man."

"Mena! Hold your words!" Himavan shouted at her.

"No Maharaj I have to say it now. I have given in to all of your demands before but I cannot let all of you play with my daughter's life. Even death is better than such a marriage."

Parvati and everyone tried to persuade Mena but she didn't listen to anyone and stayed adamant.

On the other hand, Lakshmi realised there was something wrong going on and went to meet Vishnu. She was walking through the corridors when she bumped into someone who turned out to be Vishnu himself.

"Shree? What are you doing here?"

"I was coming to meet you only."

"And I was coming to you. There has been a big problem."

"I can understand that very well, Narayan. What happened?"

Vishnu sighed and said, "When everyone was enjoying Shiva's procession, Rishi Durvasa had come. As you can understand, the ganas and pretas weren't in 'proper state'. Some were drunk, some were mad. So no one noticed him and I think somebody pushed him over. He was already angry but that sent him off and he cursed Shiva that he will not be able to get married in this form. That the bride's side would faint at the sight of him."

Lakshmi listened to him silently and then got furious, " So many things happened and you are telling me now? And anyways, what were you doing when this happened? How did this happen in your presence? "

"Shree, why are you getting mad at me? This was destiny. I couldn't have interfered."

This angered her even more.

"I don't want to listen to anything. Do you know that due to this, Mahadev's wedding is on the verge of cancellation? Menavati is scolding Parvati for it. I have to go inform her now. And you go and handle your dear friend."

Saying so, Lakshmi hurried towards Mena's chambers and Vishnu went to Shiva. She went near the door and called out.

"Parvati!"

Everyone's attention turned to her and they greeted her. Lakshmi nodded in response.

"Maharani Mena, don't worry. We will solve your problem. Parvati! Can I talk to you for a minute?"

Parvati excused herself and went out with Lakshmi and she explained everything to her. Parvati finally realised the true meaning behind Shiva's play but that wasn't going to help their case.

"Devi, the only way we can solve this is that I have to talk to Mahadev. Only he can bring us out of this situation."

Saying so, Parvati went inside again and sat beside her mother.

"Maa, can you give me one chance to prove that Mahadev is the perfect match for me? If I talk to him, I'm sure he will understand. Can you give me this?" Parvati asked.

Mena was reluctant but finally said, "Okay, if you can present him as your proper groom, then I will accept him."

Parvati nodded and went out to meet Shiva.