Stolen Moments

"Mahadev, the rituals don't end here. Now you have to compete with Parvati" Jaya said as her and Vijaya brought in a big bowl of milk with rose petals and placed it in front of them. This turned Shiva and Parvati's attention from each other and they looked at their front.

"Mahadev, this is just a game between the husband and the wife which determine who will be more dominant in their married life. A ring will be put in the milk and whoever would find it first, would win" Saraswati said. Ganga came forward and showed a golden ring to the couple and then dropped it in the milk.

"Now try to find it. All the best."

Shiva and Parvati dipped their hands in the bowl of milk and started searching for the ring. Parvati's friends and the goddesses were cheering for her and Shiva ganas were cheering for him. After searching for a while, suddenly their hands met. The sudden touch made them look at each other and they realised that they both had caught the ring. Shiva smiled and tried to give it to Parvati but she stopped him and shook her head. Then, they both brought out their hands together with the ring in them. There was an audible gasp in the room and then everyone started cheering.

"Both of you won!" Ganga exclaimed.

"This is the beauty of Shiva and Shakti. No one is greater than one another. Even in a marriage, both are equal to each other and everything they do, they do it together" Vishnu explained.

Shiva and Parvati looked at each other and smiled. Just then Menavati and Himavan came in.

"I would request all the guests to kindly join for dinner" Himavan said.

"Of course, Maharaj. Anyways, we should let the newly wed be together alone. Let's go!" Vishnu said and everyone left the room and the door was closed. Shiva and Parvati were left alone after a long time.

"Uma" he called her. Her eyes turned to him and was met with his warm gaze and her lips curled up in a smile.

He continued, "For the longest time, I've been all alone. I know you were always present with me as my soul but still being away from you was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Loosing you as Sati had turned my world upside-down. I had never felt so lost in my life. And getting over it was immensely hard and maybe that is why I had kept you waiting for so long. I have tested you, have given you pain but that was so that you can realise yourself as Shakti so that we won't part from each other anymore. But still, if I've hurt unknowingly, then forgive my love. I had never wanted to do so. "

He would have said more but Parvati had stopped him by putting her hand over his mouth.

"Why are you delving into the past when we have stepped into our new future? I know everything you have done was for my good. But we are together now and from today, we will never part from each other. We are one and will always remain like that. We are starting our new journey together once again and this time, we will not leave each other's side. Ever."

Shiva nodded and cupped her face.

"I love you. I love you so much, my Shakti. My eternal partner. Never leave me again" he said and kissed her forehead and then engulfed her in his arms. She laid her head in his chest and whispered softly.

"Never."

They stayed like that for a long time, enjoying each other's warm touch when suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Parvati called out.

"Apologies Princess, for disturbing you but I have been sent with your meal" the voice on the other side of the door answered.

"Please come in" She said and the door opened and one of the palace staff came in with a large plate with different dishes in his hands. Parvati asked him to place it on the table in front of them. He obliged and then joined his hands and greeted Shiva and Parvati. They nodded in agreement and he went away as the door was closed again. Parvati got up and brought the plate. She took a bit of rice and kheer and held it in front of Shiva. He ate the morsel from her hand. Their eyes did not leave each other. Then Shiva took a bit of food as well and fed Parvati. Like this, they finished their meal and she kept the plate away.

"Come on Uma, you must be tired after the day's incidents. Take some rest" Shiva called her. Parvati went and sat beside him and laid her head on his shoulder. He caressed her head and she closed her eyes in peace.