Amayra Singhania

" So Amayra, do you know the basics of science?"

I snapped my gaze towards the teacher seated across the table in front of me. I nodded my head at her, as she hummed in reply. As she continued peering through my books, I took in her appearance. She looked to be a lady in her thirties with tan skin, bright brown eyes, her black hair tied in a neat bun and glasses perched above her nose.

" So," she says, placing her arms on the table.

" I want you to give a test. It would give me an idea about how to teach you."

She took out a few papers from her bag, passing them on to me.

" You have twenty minutes," she says, glancing at her watch.

I took out my pen from the pencil case I received just today, and began reading the test paper.

Uh oh...

Science and Mathematics.

***

" Not bad Amayra. Although I'm not truly satisfied with your results, you did good."

My tutor says nonchalantly, as I looked at her displeased expression.

Umm...I thought eighty-nine upon hundred was not that bad, was it?

It somehow disappointed me that I was not good enough.

I nodded my head slowly, trying to stop myself from panicking.

Would anyone punish me for it?

Even after being abused all my life, I'm still terrified of being punished. It somehow feels funny to me.

I mean...I should have been habitual to it right?

" You should focus on me lady. I've been calling you for the hundredth time now."

The tutor says harshly, as I was immediately pulled out of my reverie. I bowed my head down and nodded, she was too rude.

" Listen, I want you to learn everything I teach you. I only expect good grades from you. You must not make a single mistake, got it?"

I continued nodding my head as she chided to me about my grades. I zoned out in the middle of her one sided conversation, thinking about the punishment I was going to receive.

Let's be honest, even if your family's not abusive, everyone expect good grades from their children. The way this tutor is scolding me, I can only think of ways to save myself.

" Now let's begin the lesson."

***

I sighed tiredly as I sat on the couch in my room.

The tutor left a few minutes ago, warning me to improve myself. It would be safe to say that I'm not too fond of her. Deciding to finish the homework I recieved, I stood up and took a seat on the chair of my study table.

It took me almost forty minutes to complete my homework. After finishing it, I stood up and stretched myself a little. My muscles were sore. The homework was a little too much though.

" Amayra."

The sudden voice startled me, as I looked towards the person who just entered my room.

" How was your tutor? Do you like her?"

My mother was the person I least expected in my room. Looks like I forgot to close my door. I found myself staring as she made her way further inside the room.