Chapter 12:Maroon

This Plaza was a relatively new establishment to Myeongdong.

Fourteen years ago, the district was a hotbed for gamblers and players with too much money to lose, but despite how it now boasted of shiny new malls and shops for the average resident, Y/N knew that nothing much had changed since she had last lived in the area.

It was a well known fact that the building was just a mere front put on to fool unwanted guests from finding the gambling den beneath its surface, and while Y/N was no frequent visitor, she was acquainted enough with the neighborhood to be able to confidently lead Nayeon to its doors.

Upon reaching the Plaza, however, they found that the building was closed. "The owner died a few days ago," explained Nayeon, referring to their customer, "Her company probably decided to close the plaza for some time out of respect."

Nayeon stepped forward, and as if to demonstrate how little of said respect she had, she raised her sheathed katana and smashed the glass door with the hilt into shattered pieces. She straightened and walked through the metal frame of the door without regard, leaving Y/N no choice but to reluctantly follow, glass shards crunching loudly beneath her shoes as she did so.

They made it about three steps inside before there was another roar, this time, from inside the building. The sound shook the walls and echoed terribly back and forth within the plaza, almost deafening Y/N's eardrums.

Y/N removed her hands from her ears once it was over, "We are going to die." she announced.

"We're not," Nayeon snapped, unsheathing her sword. Thumping noises came from upstairs, and she gestured to a still escalator. "Up here."

They moved quietly through the silent and empty building, moving further into windowless darkness the further they ventured. The loud thumping noises became louder towards the back of the plaza.

Unable to stop herself, Y/N whispered, "Why would the dog spirit be here?"

Nayeon gave a vague shrug, "Personal attachment? Our customer was a huge developer here - she probably crushed the building that it was living in to build this plaza."

Y/N stopped, "You didn't tell me that!"

Nayeon glanced back at her, "So? It's not like it changes anything."

Y/N bit her lip, trying to make sense of the new information. If the dog spirit's personal vendetta was solely with the owner of the building, there was a high chance that it would not have bothered anybody else.

In addition to that, the particular dog spirit they were hunting had only ever harassed their customers. That would mean…

A pure spirit is one that hasn’t taken a soul.

Y/N had a bad feeling, "Nayeon," she whispered urgently, as Nayeon peeked around a corner. "Yah-"

Nayeon withdrew suddenly, pushing Y/N back into the wall with her arm.

"Found it." Nayeon whispered.

Y/N's breath shortened. "What's it doing?"

"Pacing." Nayeon said, and dared to take another look. Her sword glinted in the dark.

Y/N grabbed her sleeve. "I don't think this is a good idea," she hissed. "It has a right to be mad, right?"