Chapter 47:Prodigal

The hurricane subsided, and slowly, the feathers settled down on the floor of the bridge.

Y/N who's still on the floor, watched with awe as they took form into people, all dazed and confused, as if they had just woken from a long dream. She glanced down at the lone feather still cupped in her hands, but strangely, it didn’t change at all.

Before Y/N could think too deeply about it, movement caught her eye and she looked up.

Nayeon was walking towards her with single-minded purpose, her eyes were bright and alive.

Y/N held her breath. After everything that had happened, she wasn't sure what Nayeon would do - but to Y/N's surprise, Nayeon stopped before her and reached out a hand to help her up.

Y/N stared at her, stunned by the simple act. Tentatively, Y/N accepted Nayeon's hand and she pulled Y/N to her feet.

Nayeon's expression was careful as she slowly let go, "You're..."

"Dead?" Y/N finished for her, "I know."

Nayeon shook her head, "You're here." she corrected. She looked unsure, but comforted.

Y/N felt her mouth lift in a hesitant smile.

"Nayeonssi?" a timid voice asked. A girl approached them with wide eyes.

Instinctively, Y/N knew her to be Hwang Yeji.

"Yeji." Nayeon bowed, "I'm glad to see you're okay."

Yeji blinked up at her, "What happens to us now?"

Nayeon looked just as unsure as she did, but thankfully, she was saved from having to answer with the arrival of a new party.

Sana approached them from the opposite end of the bridge, her kindly face is a welcome sight.

"You get an escort to the Hall of Judgement," Sana replied, coming to a stop before them, "There, you will be given a fair trial."

Murmurs broke out amongst the crowd of spirits around them.

Sana's eyes fell on Y/N and she smiled, reaching out a hand for the feather held in Y/N's palm.

“Of course, you'll need an experienced reaper to guide you.” Sana said with her hand outstretched.

Y/N gently handed over the feather. Sana's hands closed over it, emitting a gentle glow. She set the shining feather on the ground, and slowly, it took the shape of a figure clothed, her stark white hair glowing underneath the colourful sky.

“Joy!” Y/N exclaimed with relief, “You’re okay!”

Joy's face was made pretty by her smile, she gave Y/N a low bow, “You have my thanks, Y/N,” she said, "Then and now."

“Welcome back,” a familiar lazy drawl spoke.

Momo came out from behind Sana with Rosé and Jisoo in tow.