Chapter 20:Permanent Violet

"Shit." said Y/N, holding onto the edge of the front desk counter.

The entire hotel was shaking from what felt like the aftershock of an earthquake.

"There goes the customer in 229." Seulgi noted aloud, but while she did it for Y/N's benefit, the effort was unnecessary.

In the week since she had been employed, Y/N had become well accustomed to the ghost's almost daily tantrums, and the novelty of the experience had long since worn off.

Y/N merely waited for the hotel to settle before stretching lazily over the counter with a sigh, "It's been a week," she pouted, "I'm bored."

"It's only morning," Seulgi soothed from where she sat beside Y/N on a high chair, "It's rare, but business might pick up during the day." her demeanor was of somebody perfectly cheerful as she jotted various notes down in a book, a sight that irritated Y/N immensely.

"I take it Nayeonssi is still mad at you?" Seulgi asked while doodling.

Y/N huffed, resting her cheek against the counter's cool marble, "Mad? No. She is completely avoiding me. Everywhere I go, she is never there."

"She'll get over it," said Seulgi reassuringly, "Surely whatever happened between you two wasn't that bad."

Y/N frowned and wondered if Seulgi would have said the same if she had known what she and Nayeon had argued over.

Y/N was continuing to see her dreams with increasing frequency, but was no closer to finding out their meaning or how to stop them, and she did not have to speak to Nayeon to know that she wouldn't be pleased about the lack of development.

For an entire week, Y/N had been replaying Nayeon's reaction to her dreams in her head over and over again. It had been beyond the embarrassed anger that Y/N had initially expected from her - Nayeon had been almost terrified.

The mysterious girl must have had something to do with her elusive past; and perhaps even something to do with her punishment.

Doesn't it make you wonder what else you haven't been told?

"Seulgi," Y/N spoke up, "What is your boss being punished for?"

The receptionist almost dropped her book, "That's sudden!" Seulgi voiced in a high pitched tone, "W-why do you want to know?"

Y/N raised an eyebrow. Seulgi suddenly reminded her of somebody, though of who she could not recall.

"Just curious," Y/N said, "Nobody here tells me anything. But we are friends, right?"

Seulgi gulped, her eyes darting back and forth, "I-I'm just a receptionist-"

"Seulgi..." said Y/N, with false sweetness, "Should I tell Jihyo how you have just been doodling over and over in that book of yours?"

Seulgi snapped her book shut, but the damage had already been done. Seulgi met Y/N's smug gaze and groaned.

Y/N raised her eyebrows, "So?" she prodded.

After a long moment of deliberation, Seulgi sighed and reluctantly leaned in.

"Okay," Seulgi said, causing Y/N to also lean forward eagerly, "You didn't hear it from me; but Nayeon is - or was a warrior. In her time, she took thousands of lives." she paused before adding in a more hushed voice, "A crime like that isn't so easily forgiven by the ten queens."