Chapter 22:Verisimilitude

The drive back to Seoul was grave and silent.

Y/N hadn't spoken a single word since getting into the car - she kept thinking of Yeji cracking and turning to ash underneath the woman's touch. And in addition to that...

The Ten Queens don't forgive so easily.

You would know best.

I'll come for you too.

"Ask me." said Nayeon suddenly, causing Y/N to jump in her seat. Nayeon's eyes were trained on the dark road ahead of her, "Whatever it is that you want to ask. You look like you're about to burst."

Y/N thought of denying it, but felt the excuse dying on her tongue. She did not look at Nayeon, but she steeled herself in preparation regardless, "You are a dark spirit. Aren't you?"

Nayeon did not have to reply.

Y/N fixed her eyes on the lamp posts racing past the window, "What did you do?"

Nayeon breathed out quietly, "You won't be able to un-know it."

The worst part was that Y/N knew Nayeon was right.

"Maybe," Y/N said, her voice was tight, "But I deserve to know, right?"

Nayeon's fingers tapped slowly on the steering wheel, "Do you know what it's like to be betrayed?"

Y/N thought of her sister leaving her behind without another word, "Yes."

Nayeon gave a humorless laugh, "Then maybe you'll understand."

Y/N finally dared to glance over at Nayeon, but it was Nayeon turn to not meet her eyes.

Nayeon cleared her throat, "I was captain of the Military ruler's guard," she finally began, "My whole life was centered around the Military Ruler's protection. I was good at my job - but I was young and stupid. I trusted somebody that I shouldn't have, and the Moon Kingdom fell into ruins because of it."

"That's your crime?"

"No," Nayeon said, a sardonic expression overcoming her, "My crime was after."

Y/N forced herself to ask, "What did you do?"

Nayeon's hands were vice grips on the wheel, "I slaughtered the entire neighboring kingdom responsible."

Y/N's breath hitched.

Nayeon's gaze was far away, "At the end of it, I took my own life; but the Ten Queens were waiting for me. Suicide wasn't enough - to redeem myself, I would have to repent to the one hundred thousand innocent people of the Sun Kingdom by serving their reincarnated souls across the centuries. The Guest House of the Moon was established as a way to do that, and until I've satisfied every soul, I'm forbidden from entering the afterlife."

Y/N stared, "The Guest House of the Moon," she repeated, "The Hotel del Luna. That's how you became the owner."

Nayeon's face was grim, "Are you scared?"

Y/N looked at Nayeon long and hard, searching for something that marked her as a dark spirit. She expected to see a new evilness in Nayeon's eyes, or a twist to her mouth now that she knew the truth.