Chapter 15:Shocking Pink

Y/N's first real memory of Jennie was of her walking away and never looking back. Jennie was nine while Y/N was five.

Often, Y/N had wondered, what kind of person could be so certain of what they wanted at nine years old?

What did it take for a child to be so confident, that they could abandon the comfort of their home and everything they had ever known without once turning around?

Y/N would never be able to comprehend her sister; but every so often, she would remember the feeling of watching her mother die in a too cold house, and sometimes, she understood.

Empathy, however, did not absolve Jennie of leaving her when Y/N had needed her most.

Sixteen years of zero contact later, despite Y/N having not bothered to track Jennie down to kindly inform her of their father's untimely death, Jennie had showed up halfway into their dad's funeral service to smack the monk's ass during her mantras and give their dad's portrait the finger.

Y/N had yelled at Jennie to get the fuck out and die in a badger pit and Jennie just laughed and waved goodbye.

Jennie made sure to visit Y/N every two months after that.

"What do you want this time, Jennie?"

They were having lunch at a restaurant of Jennie's choice, elected for their wide range all-you-can-eat buffet.

Y/N liked to think she was of a species far removed from her sister, but even she could not deny that a shared love of food and an equally large appetite were only two of the many things she had in common with Jennie.

Despite this, the appeal of the buffet quickly lost its charm after Y/N's seventh or so helping, and even the satisfaction of a full stomach did little to prevent the irritation of Jennie's surprise arrival from seeping back in.

"What?" spoke Jennie as she stuffed some milk ice cream in her mouth, "You have somewhere better to be?"

"Anywhere is better than here." Y/N scowled.

Jennie sighed and licked her lips, "What did I do to deserve such a brat of a younger sister?" she commiserated, "This is your fault, you know - I'm only here because I heard all about your little car accident yesterday and someone forced me to come check on you. If you hadn't been so weak, we wouldn't be in this mess."

"How nice of you," snapped Y/N in sarcasm, "But as you can see, I am fine. Can I go?"

"You got a date?"

"Work, idiot. Isn't that where you should also be?"

Jennie perked up, suddenly interested, "Is it illegal?" she demanded hopefully, "Tell me it's illegal. I haven't made an arrest in over a week and the precinct is starting to look like a ghost town."

Y/N was rightfully offended, "I didn't join a gang!"

Her sister pretended to be taken aback, "You didn't? From what I've heard, you get fired everywhere you work. A gang should be the only place that would still take in your useless ass."