Chapter 43:Campanula

A figure stood by the balcony of the royal bedroom with her hands folded behind her back, looking out onto an ominous red sunset.

Her face was tilted up towards the sky, "Did you love her?"

Y/N looked away from where she sat on the edge of her bed, her fingers curling into silken sheets.

"No." Y/N mumbled.

The Sun Queen gave a low laugh, "I see your time in the sun has done nothing to improve your skills in deception." she commented, turning away from the balcony to come inside the room.

"What do you want from me, Ruby?" Y/N spat, "I bring nothing to your kingdom of blood."

The Queen stopped before Y/N and grabbed her chin, twisting her face to look at her. "That's where you're wrong."

Y/N felt tears gather in her eyes. She was once able to recognise her sister's face. She was once able to love Ruby.

Ruby smiled, the lift of Y/N's sister mouth a cruel and wicked thing, "Ask yourself, sister. For the peasant who owns your heart, what are you prepared to do?"

_______________

Nayeon knelt before Y/N in chains.

Her face was beaten and her clothes were bloody. Nayeon was barely alive, but her eyes were devastatingly furious through the bars of her prison.

The Moon Palace was in ruins, the Military ruler and the Crown Princess were dead, and so was the only family Nayeon have ever had.

Y/N's sister had kept her promise - Nayeon was spared as thanks for Y/N's role as unknowing informant to the Kingdom of the Sun.

Her sister's knowledge of the palace's hidden passageways and secrets had been invaluable to its invasion, her sister hadn't possessed such a thing and therefore hadn't been so lucky.

"Was it fun?" Nayeon snarled, her lips cracked and bleeding, "Tricking me? Using me?"

"Nayeon," Y/N whispered, the hanbok layers of her royal dress weighing down her shoulders like a death sentence, "I-"

"You killed her," Nayeon said, her voice shaking, "You."

Y/N could not say anything to that.

Loathing made Nayeon's face brutal and savage, "Leave me!" she spat, her teeth bared, "Unless you're ready to pay the price."

A laugh reverberated around the empty prison. "This is the peasant you cared for, Y/N?" The Sun Queen came to stand beside Y/N in armor stained red, "What a pity. This filth is all that's left of the Moon Kingdom."

Y/N opened her mouth, but Nayeon beat her to it.

"Why?" Nayeon hissed, "Why did you do it?"