Chapter 14:Chartruese

Y/N found herself sitting on damp grass, a low pile of stones gathered beside her.

"Is running away that much fun?"

Y/N didn't look behind her, continuing to throw stones across the lake, "Not really."

"Makes me wonder why you do it so much." said Nayeon, taking a seat beside her at the edge of the lake.

"Who gave you permission to sit?"

"The village elder," Nayeon replied smoothly. "I explained everything and he told me where to find you."

"Traitor." Y/N scowled, throwing her next stone harder than necessary. It plunged into the water with a great splash.

"Bad form," commented Nayeon. She took a stone from the pile beside Y/N, weighing it in her palm. "My sister says that the trick is in the wrist."

Nayeon arched her arm back and tossed the rock - it successfully skimmed four times across the water before it tripped and was swallowed into the lake.

"Show off." Y/N muttered.

The corner of Nayeon's mouth quirked upward at this, and she glanced at Y/N appraisingly, "Why didn't you wait for me at the barn?"

Y/N shrugged, picking up a bottle gourd containing Makgeolli beside her, "I thought that when you came back, I would be arrested for sure."

"How do you know I'm not going to arrest you now?"

"I didn't hear any horses," Y/N said, taking a swig from the gourd. The alcohol seared as it went down her throat and she wiped her mouth with satisfaction, "I am sure a samurai has enough honour to not bother a woman sitting peacefully by a lake."

"A woman who stole my sword." Nayeon corrected.

Y/N rolled her eyes. She unclipped the sword from her belt and tossed it in Nayeon's lap, "Here. I am sorry for stealing it."

Nayeon hummed, unsheathing the blade. It seemed to glow in the moonlight, illuminating the characters engraved into the metal.

Y/N could not help but instinctively glance over at it as she took another sip from her gourd.

"The sun will rise." Y/N read aloud.

Nayeon looked at her in surprise, "You can read?"

Y/N turned red as she realised her slip up. It was rare for commoners to be able to read and she had just given herself away.

Looking away, Y/N mumbled under her breath, "...Not really. Just some stuff."

Nayeon continued to eye her strangely before she returned her gaze to the sword, "Do you know what it means?"

"What?"

"It's a reminder. That even the darkest of nights comes to an end as the sun rises."