Chapter 49:Foregoer

"Y/N's been acting... strange."

Lisa spoke, her hands wrapped nervously around a teacup. It had long since cooled since she had first bought it at the counter of the cafe, but she had yet to notice.

Nayeon watched her as she absently played with the paper straw that came with her iced tea.

Y/N had liked to buy the sweet beverage whenever they went out, and in her absence, Nayeon felt like trying it.

The irony of Nayeon buying Y/N's favourite drink was not lost on her as Y/N's best friend sat worried in the seat across from her.

"Every time I ask about her job at the hotel, she looks at me like I'm playing a joke on her," Lisa continued, "I tried to ask her about that thing at the cinema, but she had no idea what I was talking about."

Lisa looked up, her expression was desperate and she added, "What happened to her, Nayeon? Was she fired? Is she going through something? I'm so worried and I can't even ask her about it!"

Nayeon resisted the urge to sigh. Even in the past, Lisa was one to needlessly worry about others before herself.

Five hundred years ago, Lisa had died trying to lead people out of the Moon Kingdom before she was slain, and ultimately, it had been a useless death.

Nayeon was happy to see her leading a good life in her reincarnation, so as a favour, she decided that she would ensure that Lisa continue to live well; even if it meant lying to her.

"She's fine," Nayeon assured, taking a sip of the iced tea only to wince at the taste. It was far too sweet for her liking, "You won't have to worry about it from now on, Lisa."

Lisa stared at her, confused, "What do you mean?"

Nayeon opened her mouth to summon her accomplice but was interrupted by the jingle of the cafe door opening behind her.

Recognising the customer that came in, Lisa excitedly raised a hand and called out to her.

"Jennie!" Lisa exclaimed.

Nayeon fell back into her seat, annoyed by the disturbance. Without even having to look, she knew that the newcomer must've been Lisa's lover with whom Lisa had just recently reconciled with.

Sure enough, the person Lisa had called out to approached the booth they were seated at with familiar ease.

Jennie cast a glance at Nayeon, "So? Who's this brat?" she then took the seat beside Lisa.

Nayeon felt herself go rigid as she met Jennie's eyes. She would know that face and soul anywhere.

Nayeon glared at her, "You!"

Jennie grabbed a fork and pointed it at Nayeon, holding Lisa back with her free arm, "Don't move, Lisa." she ordered.

"Jennie, I thought we talked about this!" Lisa scolded, grabbing the fork, "You can't just threaten somebody you don't know!"

"I'm a cop - threatening people is my whole job," Jennie argued, snatching the fork back, "Plus, I do know this girl. She's a sword-wielding freak."