Chapter 30:Consign

Thanks to Hinowa, locating the body was an easy matter. All Y/N had to do was call it in and pretend to be distraught.

In half an hour, the river had been cordoned off and was swarming with police.

Following their appearance, Y/N was bundled up into a blanket and seated on the hood of a police car where an officer took her initial statement and hurried off just as quickly.

Left alone, Y/N kept an eye on the barricade in the distance, where two detectives had just arrived on the scene - one of them being a familiar figure with brown hair.

A uniformed officer approached Jennie and spoke shortly before pointing to Y/N on top of the vehicle.

Jennie followed his direction, raising an eyebrow upon making eye contact with Y/N.

Jennie broke off from her fellow detective and walked over to the car.

"Do I even want to know how you became a witness in a murder case?" Jennie asked at point blank, stopping before Y/N.

Y/N straightened primarily, "I was going for a nice evening walk by the river, okay?"

Jennie looked skeptical, "Where you happened to find a dead body."

Y/N scowled at the implication in Jennie's tone, "Why does it sound like you are suspecting me?"

"Everybody's a suspect," Jennie shot back, "Tell me what happened."

Y/N looked away, "I already told another cop - I wanted to dip my feet into the water so I went down to the river. Then I found the body."

Jennie's eyes narrowed, "You wanted to dip your feet?"

"Like what we used to do when we were kids." Y/N grumbled.

Jennie's expression seemed to involuntarily soften, briefly surprising Y/N.

Regardless, Jennie crossed her arms and scoffed, "Unbelievable."

Y/N rolled her eyes, "Why would I murder some random woman? Who is she anyway?"

"Her name was Hinowa," Jennie's fellow detective answered, Y/N remembered that her name was Irene.

Irene walked up to the two siblings with an unusually serious look on her normally laid-back face after having spoken with forensics, "She was a prostitute down in the bar."

"Any relatives?" Jennie asked.

"A son, nine years old," Irene replied, "Adopted, actually."

Y/N felt a flare of hope at the mention of Seita, "Poor kid," she said, trying to control her excitement, "Has anybody told the kid?"

Irene shrugged, "Can't get in touch with him."

Jennie's eyes lit up, "Maybe he's on the run after killing his mom."

"He's nine." Y/N blankly said.

Jennie frowned, "You don't know what a nine-year-old is capable of."