Chapter 35:Nirvana

"I've seen you too often this past week, Y/N." Irene said once Y/N had finished giving Irene her statement in front of Housen's now cordoned-off building, "Try not to make storming mafia headquarters a habit."

Y/N gave her an unenthusiastic salute and Irene sighed, walking off to talk to the coroner.

"Irene's right." Jennie said, taking a seat beside Y/N in the ambulance, "I've been seeing you around a lot lately."

"It is not by choice." Y/N retorted, "How did you find me? The police do not patrol around here."

"We don't," Jennie answered, "I came because I had a feeling that you were going to do something stupid."

Jennie had been worried for her, Y/N realised.

Disobeying her superiors, Jennie had infiltrated the place without a second thought just to follow Y/N, and had even gone as far as to kill Housen to keep her safe.

Y/N bit her lower lip, "...Are you going to get in trouble?"

"Probably. Officers don't kill," Jennie answered, strangely relaxed, "But gangsters do. And like you said, people don't change that much."

Y/N thought back with guilt about what she had said to Jennie earlier that day and fidgeted in her seat, "Jennie..." she began.

Jennie put her hand on Y/N's cheek and let her face her, "Me first," she said, pinching it softly, "I didn't want to tell you, but I met up with the old man before he kicked the bucket."

Y/N blinked in surprise and slowly removed Jennie's hand, "You met with Dad?"

Jennie nodded and put her arm down, "Once, maybe four years ago. I was still in the gang back then. He tracked me down and gave me an earful."

Y/N frowned, "What did he say?"

Jennie rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, "The usual - he called me an idiot and told me that I was wasting my life away."

"That sounds like Dad." Y/N admitted.

"Yeah. He also said you will be disappointed in me."

That surprised Y/N, "Me?" she pointed to herself.

Jennie chuckled and nudged her shoulder, "You forgot? You and Mom used to make a game of trying to guess what I would grow up to be in the future."

Y/N thought back to when she had laid tucked up in bed with her mother when she was still healthy, talking and giggling as they waited for her Dad to arrive home from work and for Jennie to come back from school.

In response to Y/N's endless questioning, her Dad had liked to say that Jennie would likely grow to be a space pirate or a tax robber, and they would both fall apart with laughter at the thought.

"Ah," Y/N said, "That."

The corner of Jennie's mouth lifted in a faint smile, "You liked to make dumb guesses, but your final answer was always the same; and four years ago, the old man caved and told me about it."