Chapter 25:Windsor Green

Y/N hadn't expected the infamous Sanzu River to be just behind the hotel, and yet, all they had to do was cross the grand lobby to a set of tall double doors at the opposite end of the room beneath the second open floor.

Nayeon hadn't shown her through them in her initial guided tour of the hotel, and Y/N had never been interested enough to check what was on the other side.

Much like the pool, the back of the hotel did not follow worldly logic. The doors did not open onto a bustling Seoul street, but rather a thick forest path bordered by tall waving trees.

A serene silence blanketed the woods as Nayeon led Y/N and Ella down a winding dirt path, eventually coming to a stop at wide stone tunnel where a long limousine awaited them.

"There really is a limo." said Y/N, wondering why she was still surprised.

"Were you expecting a horse drawn carriage?" spoke Nayeon sardonically.

"Funny." said Y/N. As she said it, her eyes were drawn to a figure in white emerging from the tunnel.

Predictably, Momo was the one to come out, her hands casually tucked into her sleeves and a bored expression lining her face.

"You're here." Momo noted, walking up to them.

"Were you seeing off the old man?" Y/N asked.

"Yup." Momo knocked on the trunk of the limousine once with the back of her fist, "He didn't sign in as a customer at the hotel, so he didn't get one of these. I escorted him instead."

Momo then looked at Ella, "So this is the kid that I have to thank for my upset stomach?"

Ella kindly bowed her head, "I heard you were a great help to Y/N. Thank you for going through the trouble. I'm extremely grateful."

"You had better be," said the reaper, but there was a fondness in her eyes, "It was a real pain in the butt."

Y/N scoffed and crossed her arms, "The barrel was your idea." she retorted which Momo just waved her hands off.

Ella smiled and turned to face Y/N and Nayeon, "Well... I guess this is it."

Y/N bit her lower lip, "You could stay longer, you know. It can't hurt."

Ella smiled, "I've lingered long enough. Plus, I don't want to have to put in another extension form."

Nayeon snickered, "Smart choice."

Ella grinned, and bowed low, "I owe you both so much. Thank you."

Nayeon inclined her head, "Good luck, kid."

Y/N did her best to smile, "Goodbye Ella."

Ella opened the limo door and gave them one final wave before getting in. Y/N sniffed as the vehicle drove away.

"Did she end up meeting the person she was looking for?" asked Momo.

Y/N wiped her nose and nodded, "Yeah. She did."

Momo sent her a glance and ruffled Y/N's hair, "You work hard, kid. Wanna join the reaper department?"

Y/N pouted while fixing her hair, "I don't want to work with old women though." she mumbled.

Momo scoffed in disbelief, turning away, "Fine, suit yourself." she walked into the forest and called behind her, "Hope I don't have to see either of you for a long time."

"Bye, Momossi." Y/N grinned, and Mimo flicked her off before disappearing into the trees.

Y/N felt Nayeon staring into the back of her head and turned to face her with a frown, "What?''

Nayeon squinted her eyes, "Since when did you and that reaper get so close?"

Y/N raised an eyebrow. If she didn't know any better, she would've thought there was a hint of petulance in Nayeon's tone.

"Since our super fun game of kick the can." In a shrewd tone, Y/N added, "If you felt jealous while watching us, then you should have just joined the game."

Nayeon rolled her eyes, I'm not jealous," she said immediately before she registered the rest of what Y/N had said, "Wait-how did you know I was watching?"

Y/N smirked and gestured to Nayeon's red dress, "I saw this. Are you spying on me now?"

Nayeon pressed a finger to the space between Y/N's eyebrows, "I'm keeping a watchful eye. The last time I let you out of my sight, you sold your soul to a god of death."

"I did not."

Nayeon scoffed and looked back at the tunnel, "Idiot."

Y/N turned to follow Nayeon's gaze, "Ella would've joined us." she felt the girl's absence now more than ever and sighed, "I hope in her next life, she will be happy."

Nayeon gave Y/N a side-eyed glance, "She was a good person. She'll probably be reincarnated immediately."

At Nayeon's words, Y/N was reminded of the secret passed down to her by Evelyn's father.

We remember our past lives when we die.

If Ella died once more in Y/N's lifetime, would she remember this moment? Y/N thought of asking Nayeon about it, but the thought went as quickly as it had come.

The old man had told her not to say anything, and she would respect his wish - she could only wonder if he had really been telling the truth.

"Maybe I'll live long enough to serve her again." Y/N voiced out.

Nayeon shrugged, "Who knows. But you probably wouldn't even be able to recognise her, people aren't always born with the same face." she cast her a glance, "Would you want to serve her again?"

Y/N frowned and exhaled through her nose, "I don't know. I was proud to be able to make her happy, I guess? I thought I would feel happy about sending her off, but instead I feel sad."

Nayeon nudged her shoulder, "You had better get used to it. I don't want your ugly crying to be the last thing I see when you send me off."

Y/N blinked, taken aback, "What do you mean?"

Nayeon sighed and crossed her arms, "I've lived long enough Y/N. Chances are that I'll meet the last souls of the Sun Kingdom in your lifetime."

Y/N swallowed the lump in her throat, "And once you do, you'll be free?'

A moment of quiet passed between them.

Nayeon licked her lips, "We'll see," was she said. The back of her hand brushed Y/N's, sending a tingle up her arm, "Don't feel too lonely when you send me off." she said softly.

Nayeon left, leaving Y/N standing alone by the tunnel.