Chapter 23:Cordiality

The following morning, Y/N was shaking a hangover Nayeon awake from where she had fallen asleep on her couch with her signature eyemask pulled down over her face and a half drunk bottle of Soju in hand.

"Seriously!" Y/N griped, shaking her shoulder, "Do you even sleep in that fancy bed of yours?"

Nayeon groaned at the volume of her voice and rolled over on the couch, some soju sloshing out of the bottle in her grip, "What the hell do you want this time?"

Y/N avoided the drops of alcohol, drawing back in obvious disgust, "Ugh. This is a new low even for you, seriously?"

"I'm coping. Leave me alone."

Y/N took a folded piece of paper from her pocket and waved it before her, "Not until you sign this form."

Nayeon slowly lifted her eye mask and peered clearly at the paper in Y/Ns hands, "An extension form," she read flatly, "Why?"

"Ella needs one more day here," said Y/N by way of explanation, "Jihyo says that all you need to do is write your name at the bottom."

"Of course Jihyo would say that," said Nayeon snidely, finally sitting up properly, "She's not the one who has to deal with the fallout. Do you even know how much of a hassle extensions are? The limo that drives souls across the river isn't a scheduled bus - I'll have to call the driver and cancel the trip, and then they'll have to refund our payment-"

"Jihyo said that the customers are the ones that pay for the limo." said Y/N triumphantly.

"The hotel pays for the limo." Nayeon corrected.

Y/N rolled her eyes, "With the money you get from the customers."

Nayeon groaned, "It's still a huge fucking pain."

Y/N flapped the form under Nayeon's nose, "Then get sober and figure it out, okay? Ella needs to find her friend before she leaves, and time is running out."

"And who is this friend?"

Y/N sat down beside Nayeon on the couch, "Her name is Evelyn. She used to visit Ella's shrine, but Ella hasn't been able to see her since she died. Ella wants to leave Evelyn something before she goes, and it is our job to find her."

"What is she offering the hotel as compensation?"

Y/N gaped at Nayeon, "She's a kid! You already collected all the offerings from her grave. What else does she have?"

Nayeon scoffed, "You mean you're going to go through all this trouble for free?"

"Some people are kind, okay?"

"Sounds like bad business."

Y/N shoved the pen in Nayeon's hand, "Sign.''

Nayeon rolled her eyes and took the pen and form from Y/N's hand, "Turn around."

Y/N raised an eyebrow at the order but complied. She was not completely surprised by the feeling of paper being pressed against her back, but she stiffened at the heel of Nayeon's hand coming to rest on her right shoulder blade as the needle of the ballpoint pen sketched out a long signature.