Chapter 44:Beautiful Helianthus

The cloudless sky was changing colours, rapidly expanding from purple to orange to blue to gold. In comparison, the rest of the empty world seemed to be bleached of tone.

The barren landscape was entirely white, like a blanket of pure snow had settled over everything down to the sand beneath Y/N's feet. It made the shifting sky stand out even more, each shade tasting like a different flavour in her mouth.

Y/N thought the view might've been beautiful if it didn't make her feel so utterly alone.

"Now what?" Y/N asked, kneeling at the edge of the Sanzu River.

It was the colour of milk and just as smooth, flowing down the bright landscape like opaque glass.

"Now we cross the bridge," the reaper standing beside her said.

Her kimono and hair were just as pale as the river. Her maroon-coloured eyes were dull, but her voice was kind, "It's that easy." the reaper adeed.

Y/N looked to the long metal bridge some distance away. It was as clean and white as everything else.

"What's on the other side?" Y/N curiously asked.

"Judgement." the reaper replied.

They watched as a female figure accompanied by another reaper approached the bridge from the same way they had come from.

Unlike Y/N who had walked past it to sulk at a distance, they stepped onto the bridge and began the extensive walk across it.

"From here on out, your future depends on the mercy of the ten queens." The reaper stated.

Y/N felt her breath knocked out of her as she recognized the familiar figure walking further and further away.

"Nayeon!" Y/N scrambled to her feet but the reaper held her back by a firm hand on her shoulder.

"She cannot be interrupted as she crosses. That's the rule." The reaper said.

Y/N spun around to face her, "Why is she here?!"

The reaper was solemn, "You came together."

Pain like nothing Y/N had ever known bloomed from her chest like a poisonous flower, "You mean..."

The reaper let go of her shoulder, "She's dead."

Y/N sank to her knees, "The fire.." she mumbled. Nayeon stayed.

"You idiot," Y/N whispered, watching as Nayeon walked along the bridge without looking back. She pressed the heels of her hands to her eyes, "After all I did..."

"Come," the reaper said, "We've stalled long enough."

A terrible thought occurred to Y/N, "You said we were to be judged, right? What will happen to her?"