Chapter 29:Relics

Leaving the two ghosts where they stood, Y/N took the next train back to her home.

The last thing she wanted to do at that moment was work, and as she passed by the hostess club district on her way home, she rejoiced in the knowledge that her night hours were over - but as per usual, the universe seemed hell bent on disrupting her at every turn.

Further down the road, Y/N spotted a woman begging random passersby for help.

"Please!" The woman cried to different people, alternating between grabbing their sleeves, "Can anybody help me? I'm looking for somebody!"

Y/N frowned as she took her in. The woman was lovely and had long black hair that shone even against her dirty dress, but nobody was even glancing her way.

It wasn't until Y/N looked harder that she saw her hands were passing uselessly through people's arms. Beyond that, a bloody stain marred the cloth around her stomach, looking distinctly like a murder wound.

Y/N slowed down to walk by her, "Hey," she hissed, surprising the woman. She jerked her head in the direction of a shaded empty alleyway. "In there."

The woman followed her into the space between the buildings, "You can see me!" she said in relief, "Thank you! I need your help, I-"

Y/N spun around to face her, "Do you know that you are dead?"

The woman was taken aback, "Excuse me?"

"If you know that you are dead, then you know it is useless to try and talk to living people, right?"

The woman's eyes shone with tears, "I know - but I'm desperate!" she grasped Y/N's hands, "Please, I'm looking for my son!"

Y/N frowned, "Is he alive?"

"Yes!" the woman breathed, "He's nine, small for his age with light hair. We ran away together, but-"

"There you are."

A dark figure appeared at the end of the alleyway. Y/N stepped in front of the woman protectively, "Stay back!"

The woman stepped into the light. She wore a purple fitted dress with a sword scabbard strapped to her hip. Her shoulder length black hair framed a beautiful, but serious face, and one of her eyes, Y/N noted, was sealed shut.

Y/N stared at her, unsure of how she knew what she was, but certain in her judgement nonetheless, "You're a reaper."

The woman ignored Y/N, speaking to the woman, "Hinowa-san, please," she began tiredly, "As I was trying to say-"

"I wont go anywhere with you before I know that my son is safe!" Hinowa snapped. She stood beside Y/N firmly, apparently unafraid of her.

Y/N relaxed her stance, feeling that it was safe to assume the woman meant no harm.

As if to affirm this, a familiar face suddenly appeared from behind the reaper, "Yah, Jisoo!"

Momo joined the group, clad in her usual white dress, "I told you that this side is my jurisdiction."

"So what?" the woman named Jisoo argued, "She's on my list of dead to escort, not yours."

Momo crossed her arms, "Even so, she passed away in my area. Go file a complaint to the Border Department if you care that much."

"Enough!" said Hinowa, "I don't care who I go with, as long as I find Seita first."

Momo finally noticed Y/N standing beside Hinowa, "Oh, it's you. Y/N what are you doing here?"

"Working," Y/N replied, "She won't be going with either of you, okay? I will be taking her."

Jisoo looked at her for the first time, "Who the hell are you?"

Y/N straightened importantly, "The Human Affairs Manager of the Hotel del Luna. It is our job to fulfill a spirit's last request, right? You heard her - She wants to find her son, so technically, this is my jurisdiction."

Hinowa turned to Y/N with a hopeful expression, "You'll help me?"

Jisoo scoffed, "I was going to tell you about the stupid place before you ran off and wasted all of our time."

Hinowa's face flushed in embarrassment. She sank into a low bow, "I'm very sorry. I was flustered. I thought you would take me away forever."

Y/N tried to pat her shoulder, "It's okay. Where did you last see your son?"

Hinowa straightened, "Not far from here. We were trying to escape but got caught by the riverbank."

Momo crossed her arms, "Escape from who?"

Hinowa seemed to hesitate, "His name is Housen," she spoke quietly, "He owns the brothel I was indentured to. My son and I got away, but he sent men after us not long after. I told Seita to run while I... held them off."

Nobody mentioned the blood that stained her stomach.

Jisoo took pity on her, "You died only three hours ago. Your son can't have gotten far."

"Three hours ago?" Y/N repeated, startled, "But then where is your body?"

"Probably still by the river," Hinowa said, "It's a few streets away from here."

Y/N frowned, "Okay. I have an idea."

Momo made a face, "What are you going to do kid?"

Y/N met Momo's eyes with a determined look, "I am going to find her corpse."