Chapter 40:Prevalent

Y/N woke up to a stormy night sky.

She was laying on her back on hard ground, staring up at a sea of roiling black clouds. The taste of salt brine still coated her tongue.

Above her, a familiar figure came into view, her long, straight hair sliding over her shoulder like a sheet of silver.

Her smile, which would have been kindly on another identical face, was affected by the falseness of her expression.

"Welcome back." Mina greeted.

Y/N sat up with a groan and was met with the sight of a vast black ocean; somehow, she was back on top of the same cliff edge that she had jumped off.

Mina stood by her side, wearing a strange cloak of oil black feathers. Behind her, her loyal reaper that Nayeon once told her before - Joy,

Y/N winced and held her head. Her mind felt cloudy and dazed, but her memories were still her own; she could not recall any flashes of a forgotten previous life.

"Am I dead?" Y/N asked.

Mina looked pleased, like a teacher who had just been asked a very interesting question, "Not at all."

Y/N blinked up at her, confused, "But... aren't you here to collect my soul?"

Mina shook her head, "Today, Miss Y/N - I am your savior." she smiled down at Y/N with false benevolence, "Don't you remember our deal?"

How about I take a minute of your life?

Y/N gaped at Mina, "You saved me?"

Mina held up a hand, "To be accurate, I claimed your soul and held it suspended for the sixty seconds that you spent underwater - an empty shell cannot die, you see."

Y/N accept Mina's hand and stand up to her feet, "You don't understand! I needed to die to unlock my past memories!"

Mina laughed, "What for?"

Y/N's fists clenched tight, "The truth," she answered coldly, "The secret behind Nayeon's suffering."

Mina's smile faded, and the air grew prickly and quiet, "You want the truth?" she asked softly, "You killed Nayeon."

Y/N felt her stomach bottom out, "What?"

Mina's penetrating gaze was unwavering, "I didn't save you to spare your life, Y/N," she told her simply, "I saved you because you don't deserve to die at your own hands."

Y/N's breath hitched, "You're lying." she whispered.

Mina watched her, amused, "How could you possibly know for sure? Because you had a dream?"

Y/N's face paled, and Mina's expression became self-satisfying.

Mina raised her hand and pressed a thumb to the space between Y/N's eyebrows, the bare contact sending a shiver down Y/N's spine.

"Go to her." Mina said, and light burst from her touch as she restored Y/N's spiritual sight, "Fulfill your destiny; and die by her sword."