Chapter 21:Ultramarine

Room 229 was tense with almost palpable anticipation as a reaper lazily circled the closet previously occupied by the room's guest.

Nayeon stood beside the furniture with crossed arms, closely watching the other woman inspect the scene. Momo, as Nayeon called her, was the same silver haired woman who had rescued her, Y/N, and Ella only a few weeks back.

Y/N and Jihyo observed the two women quietly by the door to the broken down room, waiting for them to finish.

"How did you get this woman here?" asked Y/N in a low voice.

Momo did not seem like the type of person (supernatural or otherwise) who could be summoned on a whim.

Jihyo replied, "I waited by the Sanzu River until somebody showed up."

At Y/N's raised eyebrow, Jihyo went on to clarify, "Ghosts who don't wish to stay at the hotel before they move on are escorted directly by the reapers that find them. Momo happened to be the first one I came across."

Y/N nodded her head and looked back at the pair by the closet.

"How long did you say she's been staying here?" asked Momo.

"Almost fifteen years," Nayeon answered, "She wasn't mentally fit to stay on as staff so we've just been making sure she's comfortable."

Momo hummed, "She's been biding her time. Not only is she smart, but she's powerful too - no tracks were left behind."

"Can you still find her?"

Momo gave Nayeon a mocking smile, "She's a guest of the Hotel del Luna, and one that escaped under your direct care - it's out of my jurisdiction."

Nayeon scoffed, "You can't be serious."

Jihyo rolled her eyes, "Here we go." she muttered.

Momo folded her with a smug grin, "How's your detective work, Nayeon?"

Nayeon ran a hand through her hair in frustration, "So that's it? You won't even give me a hint?"

"Look at her history. Maybe you'll find something." Momo added in a more serious tone, "But I would hurry if I were you. If you-know-who gets to her first, there won't be a guest for you to save."

Nayeon fumed in silence as Momo gave her a mocking bow and turned to the entrance, walking past Y/N and Jihyo out the door without so much as a word of goodbye.

"Out of all them," spat Nayeon, "You brought that one."

"She was the first one to show up," said Jihyo, "Not to mention the one you like best."

Nayeon snapped back, "The weird one that likes anti-nationalists would've been more helpful. At least she would've had information.

"Then find her yourself," Jihyo retorted, and followed Momo out, "This is also out of my jurisdiction."

Nayeon grunted and slammed the closet door shut with a bang.