Chapter 24:Cheerio

"I don't get it." Tzuyu whispered to Y/N.

They were both crouched behind a large shipping container in a huge abandoned warehouse, one of many boxes stacked together in a giant maze inside the dark and dusty building.

Y/N shushed her, peering around the edge of the container to get a better view of the square clearing on the other side, where the old man was hopping cheerfully back and forth on each foot as he counted to a hundred.

Away from the glare of the sun, Y/N and Tzuyu were able to see his form plainly against the dark. A single soda can stood by his feet on the ground.

Y/N ducked back behind the container to face Tzuyu, "What is it that you don't get? We just have to kick that can and win."

"Not that," said Tzuyu, "I meant I don't get how you went from serving coffee in a cafe to working with the grim reaper."

"I do not work with her, I am collaborating with her just this once, okay? And she is not the grim reaper, she's a reaper."

Tzuyu paled, "There's multiple?"

"I could introduce you to some." drawled a voice.

Tzuyu jumped, almost knocking into the shipping container.

"Careful!" Y/N hissed, reaching out a hand to steady her, "You are going to give away our position before we have even started."

Momo crouched down beside them, her spotless white kimono and equally as bright hair a stark contrast to their casual clothing, "You're one to talk, kid. You're the loudest one here."

Y/N clicked her tongue, "Where did you go?"

"Scouting. Thinking of a plan to attack," Momo replied, peering around the container, "Jeez, look at that geezer. You'd think he was still alive with the way he's hopping around."

"Eighty two, eighty three..." the old man called.

Momo sighed, "Why do I have to play along with this?"

"You're telling me," Tzuyu grumbled, "I wanted to go for Samgyeopsal. Can't we just forfeit and get this over with?"

"No way!" protested Y/N, "I will not go down in defeat like a coward!"

Momo smacked Y/N's head, "Don't forget what this game is really about, you brat! We're only here because of you. I could've had him at the bridge by now if you hadn't stopped us!"

Y/N rolled her eyes while rubbing her head, "Whatever. This way I can get what I want, and you can get him there without having to drag him. He is bound to tire himself out eventually, right?"

"Forget that - I'm not waiting that long."

"Do you have a better plan?" Y/N retorted.

Momo scoffed, "Of course I do. Listen up you two - all in all, kick the can is nothing but a child's game. If we knock that can down before 'it' finds us, it's our win. The rules never say anything about us having to leave this spot."